Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

How to prepare for your trip to South East Asia

THAILAND | Sunday, 30 September 2018 | Views [275]

South East Asia has become a destination that tops many travellers’ lists. With pristine white sand beaches, otherworldly tropical rainforests and iconic ancient temples, there’s adventure to be found at every turn.

Whether you’re heading on a luxurious getaway living your best life in 5-star hotels or finding yourself while on a budget-friendly gap year, the prospect of immersing yourself in a totally new culture is certainly an exciting one. But before you jet off, there are a few things you should check off your list to ensure your trip is as smooth as it is fun.

Travel insurance

If you fail to prepare, you’re preparing to fail, or so they say. Travel insurance is something that can be easily forgotten about but could make a massive difference if your trip takes a wrong turn. Accident prone individuals may give more consideration to pitfalls like falling ill on holiday or having their passport stolen but the truth is, these things can happen to any traveller. Minimise the fallout by sorting your insurance before you head off on your adventure.

Make sure to do your research before buying insurance. Different providers offer varying excess values – the amount payable by you if you need to submit a claim. You’ll also want to check the policy covers the right region for the correct length of your trip and includes any extras you’ll require, such as activity and sports insurance.

Visa requirements

It’s essential to check out visa requirements before you fly – even more so if you’re visiting multiple countries during a single trip, as they’ll likely have different entry conditions. For example, British and EU passport holders don’t need to obtain a visa when visiting Thailand as a tourist if they are staying no longer than 30 days.  However, if you head to Cambodia, at many entry points including Pochentong International Airport in Phnom Penh, Siam Reap International Airport and the Moc Bal and Bavet land borders, you’ll be expected to obtain a 30-day tourist visa. This currently costs $30 and is only payable in USD. Get a more detailed breakdown of each country’s requirements here.

Travel vaccines

Thanks to the warmer climate and local hygiene standards, there is generally a higher risk of falling ill in South East Asia compared to more developed areas. Don’t let this put you off exploring this beautiful part of the world. Many infectious diseases can be prevented if you take the right precautions. The UK government website is useful for getting up to date health advice for specific countries.

Get in touch with your GP at least six weeks before your departure date. They can chat you through the health risk factors for each location you’re travelling to and the vaccinations available on the NHS. Some vaccinations or medications, you’ll need to pay for privately and may have to visit a specialist travel clinic. MASTA operates several private travel clinics across the UK. Head to their site to find one near you.

Prepare before your trip and you can feel safe knowing you’re protected against any bumps along the way, giving you the freedom to focus on making memories that’ll last a lifetime.

Tags: asia, south east asia

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.