Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Organising an Autumn Trip to Perthshire

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 11 October 2018 | Views [208]

The UK has so many undiscovered landscapes and places that go unnoticed by those who aren’t looking for them. If you want to take a staycation holiday somewhere in the UK you might not have otherwise considered, why not have a look at Perth and Kinross in the East of Scotland. When tourists travel internationally to visit Scotland, the places that are likely to be at the top of their lists are Edinburgh, Skye, Glencoe, and Glasgow.

If you want to see the best of Scottish history, and a landscape that hasn’t been changed by the tourism industry, the city of Perth and the surrounding area offers a broad range of things to see and do. Best of all, you won’t be bitten by the higher prices that are often found in those places that are more popular with tourists. Here are some of the top things to see, do, and experience in the area.

History

For those looking to gain an insight into Scottish history, Scone Palace is well worth a visit. The Georgian Gothic palace building dates back to the early 19th Century, but the site dates back many hundreds of years and was the location used for the coronation of Scottish Kings and Queens. Entry fees start at £7.50 for adults to visit the grounds and go up to £12 to see inside the palace. Guided tours are also available for those who like a degree of expert insight.

Country Walks

No trip to Scotland would be complete without exploring the beautiful landscapes that are on offer. Whilst Perthshire might not have the mountains of Glencoe and the Highlands, there is still a range of beautiful walks and hikes to suit walkers of all ages and abilities. These take in hills, woodland areas, and lochside strolls. Be sure to pack your waterproofs when you visit though, as we all know that the Scottish weather can be unpredictable, to say the least!

Wining and Dining

If you want to quite literally have a taste of the Scottish East, there are a number of very highly regarded restaurants that are worth a visit. Dean’s Restaurant in the town of Perth offers a range of classic Scottish dishes in a traditional setting, and the Grouse and Claret in Kinross are highly rated by the locals for the quality of food on offer. If you want to sample a dram of the local whisky, you’ll be pleased to hear that there are a number of distilleries offering tours throughout the year as well.

Golf

Scotland is world renowned for inventing the game of golf. People come from far and wide to play in the home of the sport. If you want to get 18 holes in, there are few places that offer a better experience than the Gleneagles Hotel in Auchterarder. Here you’ll find no less than four world-class courses that have been used for a number of prestigious tournaments in the golfing calendar, such as the Ryder Cup.

No matter what kind of holiday you are looking for, Perth and Kinross show Scotland at its best without the crowds of tourists you might find in other parts of the country. 

Tags: kinross, perthshire, scotland, travel

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.