Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Start-up Business Ideas for in the Tourism Industry

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 17 September 2018 | Views [289]

For anyone who lives in an area that is a hotbed of tourism, you can easily see the appeal of getting involved with the opportunities that come with tourism. Some areas have been popular with tourists for decades, if not centuries, like Paris, whereas others have only recently been discovered as hot spots by some more adventurous travellers, like the North Coast 500.

Either way, there is a great many opportunities out there for the more enterprising travellers to get involved in the tourism that comes to their area through small business ideas. If you’re interested in trying to make a bit of extra money off of the tourism in your area, here are a few ideas to try out yourself.

Walking Tours

When people come to visit an area, they are often looking for a bit of insider knowledge and history to gain an appreciation for their chosen destination. Because of this, walking tours have become increasingly popular and if you know an area, there’s nothing to stop you from showing people around. Signing up to a tour guide site can help you get your name around, and it’s a great way to make a bit of extra money in tips as well.

Luggage Service

If you live in a more rural setting, you might have an opportunity to get involved in any walks or designated routes that run through the area. The likes of the West Highland Way and Land’s End to John O’Groats attract walkers from all over the world. Naturally, these tourists often bring a lot of luggage with them. You can get involved by offering to ferry luggage along a route to save them from carrying it all themselves. This can be a great way of making money, though is more seasonal.

Local Food

There’s nothing that gets tourists to spend their small change more than being able to try some of the handmade local food. If you can position yourself in an area that sees a lot of tourism, perhaps with a specially kitted out food truck or van, you can gain a lot of money selling a sample of your national dish to those who want a real taste of the country they’re visiting. Using local suppliers of ingredients can allow you to charge premium prices and build a good reputation.

Lodgings

This option might not be available to everyone, but you can get involved in hotel and B&B business with as much or as little effort that suits you. Running a B&B from your home can be a very lucrative venture if you live in a place with a good tourist population, but it can at times feel like a 24/7 job taking care of your guests. Other sites like Airbnb allow you to have more of a hands-off approach to your guests, but might not make you quite as much money.

As with running any type of business, it’s vital to ensure you’re paying all the necessary taxes, lest you be prosecuted for not declaring additional sources of income. Having a public liability insurance policy is also advisable, as when you’re dealing with the public, anything is possible. All it takes is enthusiasm and persistence to make one of the aforementioned business ideas come alive.  

Tags: business, money, tourism

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.