Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

6 Fun Ways to Stay Fit When Visiting Glasgow

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 13 September 2018 | Views [202]

Loch Lomond, Scotland

Loch Lomond, Scotland

Most of us would like to be fitter and add a little more exercise into our daily routines. However, it can be hard to find the motivation and get into the habit of eating healthily and exercising on a regular basis. The good news is that there are many different and innovative ways to keep fit. Glasgow, the biggest city in Scotland, is not only a great place to visit for the architecture and friendly people, but also for the many varied ways to stay in shape.

Trampolining

Looking for a low impact way to keep fit while having fun? Then look no farther than the Air Space trampoline park in East Kilbride. Here you can either go freestyle and jump around till your heart’s content or, if you prefer, you can join a team and experience sports like dodgeball, basketball and football like you have never experienced them before.

Glasgow’s Roller Derby

If you want to pick up a new and unusual hobby and make new friends then why not try out Glasgow’s Roller Derby; the Roller Derby describes itself as a ‘full-contact sport on wheels’. Teams can be made up of as many as 14 players, with positions being the jammer, the blockers and the pivot, with each game being divided into two-minute segments called jams. Glasgow’s Roller Derby offers training sessions to provide you with the necessary skills for a full game.

Hit the Slopes

A great way to keep fit, learn something new and make new friends is by taking some skiing or snowboarding lessons at Snow Factor in Braehead which has the longest slope in the UK. Snow Factor has a dedicated teaching and instruction slope, main ski slope, 4 ski lifts, an ice climbing wall, Festive Grotto - and they even offer sledging.

Cycling

Glasgow recently introduced a bike-sharing scheme, Next Bikes, which makes for a great way to keep fit and to explore the city. All you need to do to take part is download the app, sign up and you’ll be ready to go. Bike rental starts at £1 for the first 30 minutes.

Glasgow Climbing Centre

Whether you are a beginner or more experienced, Glasgow Climbing Centre is a great upper body workout with its mix of climbing walls for different experience levels.  There are taster sessions available for those who are wanting to try out climbing to see if it’s for them. The centre uses the French grading system for roped climbs with their routes going from 3 – 8a in difficulty; the routes are updated every three months.

Walking and Running

Glasgow is home to over 90 parks and gardens, meaning there is a lot of green space to choose from to go for a scenic walk or run. In the west end you have the beautiful Kelvingrove Park located on the river Kelvin or, if you fancy something a little different, there’s the Necropolis in the city centre; the Necropolis is a Victorian cemetery which offers panoramic views of the city. The many parks in Glasgow are well-maintained, often host big events like the Radio 1 Big Weekend and are a great space for a workout outdoors. However, if the weather isn’t on your side – which can often be the case in Glasgow – there are many well equipped indoor gyms with great facilities. 

Tags: fitness, fun ways to stay fit in glasgow, glasgow, workout

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.