Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Top 5 Cities to Visit When Travelling Solo

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 7 August 2018 | Views [286]

Gap year

Gap year

It’s said that travel broadens the mind, and nothing will broaden it more than if you travel alone. Travelling solo can be a daunting thought, but it pushes you out of your comfort zone and forces you to find your way around completely foreign environments, practice speaking in foreign languages and make new friends. After a trip away alone, you will come back feeling like a different person.

Here are my top 5 cities to visit when travelling by yourself:

New York City, US

If planning to visit the US alone, there is no better place to explore than the world-famous New York City. This bustling city is full of iconic landmarks to explore from the Empire State Building to the Statue of Liberty. You will not be short of things to do – in fact you will struggle to pack it all in. And the best thing is, when travelling alone, you can do exactly what you want when you want.

If you feel intimidated by the thought of eating out at a restaurant by yourself then why not visit one of the many food markets and eat on the go? There are also plenty of hostels to choose from so you won’t be short of someone to talk to in no time. There will be many people, just like you, travelling on their own who will be more than happy to strike up a conversation.

Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona is rich with culture, delicious food and sites to explore. Food is a hugely important part of Spanish culture and the Catalan cuisine really is something to write home about, with paella and tapas being the most common options; lunch is often viewed as the most important meal of the day and dinner not usually had until after 9pm. There are also plenty of attractions to visit such as La Sagrada Familia, a stunning and unique church which attracts around 3 million visitors a year, and the Magic Fountain show which is a show of stunning fountains lit up and accompanied by music. Barcelona, like many large cities, has an issue with petty crime so, like anywhere, trust your gut and be careful when out and about.

New Zealand

Although it may take up to 30 hours of flying to get there, New Zealand really is worth seeing and is great for any solo traveller; New Zealand is often named as one of the safest countries in the world, making it a hotspot for solo backpackers. This beautiful country, with stunning scenery and friendly locals, offers something for everyone; travel over to Christchurch for anything from sailing and kayaking or go over the capital Wellington in the north to explore the nation museum. New Zealand has also become famous for being the location where much of Lord of the Rings was filmed so, if this is your thing, why not venture over to visit the sets?

Rome, Italy

Rome is steeped in history and home to amazing coffee and some of the most delicious pasta and pizza you will experience in your life.  At first it can seem a little chaotic, with busy traffic and lots of narrow winding streets, but once you get to grips with it, you won’t want to go home. During the day you have the choice of going on amazing tours of the Roman past or exploring the incredible Vatican City – you will never be short of something to do. At night, why not sit out in one the many beautiful piazzas and have a drink and take in the summer nights?

Thailand

In recent years Thailand has exploded in popularity with solo backpackers and it’s easy to see why. Explore the busy and chaotic Bangkok, Thailand’s capital, and the gateway to South East Asia, to find beautiful gardens, amazing markets – such as the Chutuchak Market – as well as travel along the Chao Phraya river on a boat trip to see the city from the water. If you are looking for something more tranquil, try one of the hundreds of incredible islands. You have the option of one of the party islands or one of the more secluded beach resorts – just do a bit of research before you make your choice so you know what to expect. 

Tags: guide to travelling alone, top 5 cities to visit when travelling alone, trekking

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.