Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Hull Fair 2018: Everything You Need to Know

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 15 August 2018 | Views [346]

Hull Fair

Hull Fair

The UK’s biggest travelling fair is coming once again to the city of Hull in October 2018. The fair is set to start on the evening of Friday the 5th of October and will run right up until midnight on Saturday 13th of October. The fair is closed on Sundays, to give the showmen and employees a well-deserved break, but otherwise is open every other day from 2.00pm to 11.00pm.

The Fair is the delight of children and ‘big-kids’ alike and not your average local funfair – every year it brings together a large range of rides and attractions, as well as tourists from all over the country.

 History

As one of the oldest travelling fairs in Europe, Hull Fair boasts a rich and interesting history. The Hull Fair first opened on the 9th March 1278, and has ran every year since. Traditionally, Hull Fair has taken its anniversary date from the day it was granted six weeks of festivities by Edward I in 1293; and so the Fair celebrated its 700th anniversary in 1993.

The length of the Fair has fluctuated throughout the years, with the longest on record being noted in the sixteenth century, when the fair was sixteen days long – if only that could be the case in 2018! When the Gregorian calendar came about in 1752, causing the loss of 11 days, the locals of Hull took to the street thinking this would mean the loss of their beloved fair. I think it’s safe to say that the Hull Fair is just as precious to the locals as it was all those years ago. It has even survived the 1871 law that shut down traditional fairs in the Victorian era.

The entertainment at the fair has gone through an upheaval over the years; in the 1950s the fair was filled with musicians, circus performers, animal shows and even “freak shows”. Most of these have since been done away with but the overall spirit of the fair stays the same. Showing some things never change, pomegranates or “pommies”, coconuts and brandy snaps are still sold as traditional fare at the event – no one is exactly sure as to why pomegranates are the Fair’s food of choice but they are still popular with visitors to this day.

Travel

If you’re travelling into the fair from outside of Hull, there is a wide range of transport available to you. Bus journeys from neighbouring towns like Grimsby or Scunthorpe can start from as low as £3 and save you on parking.

If travelling to Hull from further afield, the best option is to travel by train and use the Hull Fair buses from Paragon Interchange to get to the event.

If you decide to travel by car, drivers are urged to use the Park & Ride facilities as the area surrounding the Fair at Walton Street car park is a residential parking zone only. There are Park & Ride options at Priory Park and Humber Bridge Country Park where buses will be running from 1pm to 11pm.

Accommodation

If travelling into the fair from further afield, why not make the most of your trip and stay in Hull for the weekend? There are plenty of hotels close to the Fair to choose from; you’ll never be far from the fun.

Contrary to popular belief, if booked in advance hotel prices don’t rise drastically over the Fair period. There are plenty of great hotels in Hull with many deals to be found. 

Visiting Hull

Visiting Hull doesn’t just mean fairground rides and bright lights! There are plenty of other things to see and do in the 2017 UK City of Culture.

If visiting with kids, there are lots of activities in and around the city to entertain them. The Hull Streetlife Museum of Transport is popular with visitors to the city. It contains 200 years of transport history as well as a walk-through replica of a 1940s high street; a great day out for the kids.

Another popular family day out is The Deep, a not-for-profit conservational aquarium just outside of the city centre. There is a huge variety of fish, sharks, penguins and even turtles to see at the aquarium, as well as lots of fun and interactive activities for the kids.

If you’re looking for more of an adult weekend, why not take a stroll through the picturesque Old Town where you will find plenty of good restaurants and cafes as well as evidence of the cities rich history. At night you can also visit the Hull Gin and Rum Festival 2018 that will take place on the opening weekend of the Fair. Expect great street food, lots of tasty gins and rums to choose from and live entertainment – a great way to round off a weekend in Hull.

Tags: guide to hull fair, things to do in hull, visiting hull

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.