Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

A Traveler's Guide to Reducing the Cost of Your Holiday

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 31 July 2018 | Views [298]

Travelling is one of the most rewarding things we can do, but it can quickly become very expensive. Research by ABTA (the travel agent’s association) showed that we Brits spend almost as much preparing for our holiday as we do on our holiday. It can be easy to get carried away when preparing for your trip away, from buying new suitcases to a whole new summer wardrobe, but the more you spend before you go, the less you will have to make the most of your time away. However, there are a lot of tips and tricks you can try to make your money go further.

Paying by Credit Card

If you can pay off your credit card balance in full or have a 0% interest rate, this can be a great way to make sure your purchase is protected as well as saving a little money. Many credit cards offer incentives to use them such as cashback on purchases or air miles, meaning you should get a little more for your money; some cards offer as much as 5% back which can add up quickly when booking expenses like hotels and flights. Another advantage of booking with a credit card is that it will likely be protected under the Consumer Credit Act, meaning you are protected should the airline or holiday company go bust.

The Code Sharing Trick

Code sharing is where two airlines will run the same flight but advertise it under their own schedule and flight number. The advantage of this is you can search for the flight you want and see if it’s being shared by different airlines, but offered at different prices. Flight code sharing is often done for very popular medium to long-haul flights, but if you find it being done you can sometimes save as much as £50.

Watch Out for Added Extras

Some airlines, naming no names, have become infamous for their multiple added costs while and after you book. Make sure you do some research into the airline and their added costs before you fly. Some airlines will charge you extra if you go over your baggage allowance, if you want to choose your seat on the flight, if you want to board first as well as charging you extortionate prices for snacks and meals. Being aware of these extra charges beforehand can save you from paying over the odds on the day of the flight.

Consider Different Types of Accommodation

We would all love to stay in 5-star hotels whenever we travel, but unfortunately this isn’t always possible. Your accommodation can end up being one of the most expensive parts of your trip, but it doesn’t always need to be. If you are planning on travelling for a long period of time, you can save a huge amount by staying in hostels; hostels vary in price but are normally a fraction of the cost of a hotel and can be a great way to meet like-minded travellers. Other cheap alternatives to hotels are Airbnb and couch surfing; an advantage of Airbnb and couch surfing is that you can try negotiating with your host for an even better price, saving you even more money for excursions while away.

Name Your Price

If couch surfing is not your thing and you would prefer to stay in hotels, why not try sites where you can negotiate what you pay. Discount sites like Price Line allow you to choose the star rating and location you are interested in; hotels can then make you offers based on what you say you are willing to pay. Hotels are willing to do this if they are struggling to book all their rooms out – after all, some money is better than none in their eyes. 

Tags: reduce the cost of your holiday, saving money, travelling

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.