Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Why You Should Always Invest in Travel Insurance

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 24 July 2018 | Views [254]

When it comes to going away – whether it’s a short trip or a 6 months tour around the world – there is a lot to plan and think about. It can be easy to overlook the essentials or forget to pack enough items of clothing. However, there’s one essential you must try not to ever forget – and that’s travel insurance. It might not be the most glamorous part of planning your trip away, but arranging proper and extensive travel insurance will prove to be a lifesaver should anything go wrong.

You’re Covered Should there be Any Disruptions with Your Trip

The last thing you want to have to consider is your flight or accommodation being cancelled or, due to circumstances beyond your control, being unable to travel. Unfortunately, however, there are many things that can go wrong that can throw your trip of course. Travel insurance, should anything not go to plan, will give you the peace of mind that any extra costs related to replacement transportation or accommodation should be covered. If your holiday is cancelled altogether your insurance should cover the entire cost of the holiday, making sure that you are not left out of pocket.

Medical Emergencies

No one likes to consider the idea of needing emergency hospital care while travelling, but it is very important that you plan for such an event and buy effective travel insurance. Research by Sainsbury’s Finance recently showed that the average cost of treatment abroad was £2,040, further highlighting the importance of insurance. Medical care abroad can be incredibly expensive and the more serious the treatment you need, the more debt you will accrue. Make sure when you take out travel insurance that will cover you in the country you’re going to, will cover you for repatriation should you need to be brought home and covers any activities you plan on taking part in, such as skiing or quad biking.

Cover your Belongings

Losing your luggage on holiday or being a victim of theft is bad enough, without having to consider the cost of replacing everything. Knowing that your items are covered will help take the edge off the stress of realising your luggage has not made it on your flight or that someone has helped themselves to your laptop. If you are taking expensive items with you on holiday, always check that your insurance will cover them as sometimes you may have to pay a little extra.

Car Hire Protection

Finding your way around whilst on holiday can be made so much easier if you hire a car. However, it is easier to end up in an accident when driving on unfamiliar roads and around different driving styles. Protecting yourself with insurance will mean should there be an accident damaging your car hire, you will not be left footing an incredibly expensive repair bill. Good travel insurance will give you peace of mind to hire a car and explore stunning sites of a new country, without being overly concerned about scratching the car.

Dental Emergencies

It’s not something you would normally consider, but it is possible you may need emergency dental work while you are on your travels. However, should something go wrong and you develop intense toothache or chip a tooth, you will want to be treated as soon as possible rather than wait until you arrive back home. Travel insurance can cover the cost of any emergency dental treatment while you are away, meaning not only will you have to spend your holiday in pain, but you also won’t have to worry about the extravagant cost of treatment.

When booking travel insurance always make sure to read the fine print, the countries you’re visiting are covered, you have made them aware of any pre-existing health issues and that the kind of belongings you are taking with you are included in the coverage. 

Tags: holiday insurance, travel coverage, travel insurance, travelling

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.