Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Goodbye Luang Prabang!

USA | Tuesday, 2 July 2013 | Views [415] | Comments [3]

Front of police station

Front of police station

Luang Prabang, Laos – Hanoi, Vietnam:  Last day in Laos and will miss this beautiful country.  I got up very early (for me) at 6:00 am to see the morning offerings made to the monks.  Well, damn if those monks didn’t get up earlier (5:30am) so I missed them.  Basically they pass down the street and everyone that wants a prayer or just to support the monks, gives them food for the day.  There are literally hundreds of monks.  Oh well.

I didn’t have to return the motorcycle until 10:00am so I took a ride around Luang Prabang and rode across the “motorcycle / bicycle” only bridge.  A bit tricky but I made it safe and sound.  When the bikes were coming over ahead of motorcycles, they caused mini traffic jams since they couldn’t cross as quickly.  After touring, I regretfully turned in the bike. 

One thing I didn’t mention, Luang Prabang has a huge French influence and it is obviously the French left their recipe for bread, baguettes, croissants and a variety of pastries.  I fell in love with the bread…it was definitely the BEST bread I have ever had in my life!

After breakfast, I went to the Wat (temple) to talk to the monks.  There is a strong emphasis on education and most monks learn English and love practicing it.  Unfortunately most of the monks were resting (I guess since they got up before me at 4:30am).  I did get a chance to talk with Noy (see photo), an eleven year old novice that had been studying there for 2 years.  Eventually 2 more monks joined us and we had a good chat for about 2 hours.

Then the sad part…packing the bags and heading to the airport.  There are only 5 flights in/out of the airport all day and I got there just before “rush hour”.   Checking in and getting through customs /security only took 3 minutes.   The flight to Hanoi was uneventful and only took one hour.  The taxi ride downtown cost me 380,000 VND! (pulling out the calculator…punching in the numbers…oh...only $18 for a one hour taxi ride).  I don’t think I will ever get used to the currency here.  I took $100 out of the ATM and it was 21,000,000 VND.  Nice being a millionaire here!

Well…Mr. Sandman is calling me (damn monks getting up at the crack of dawn!).  I am looking forward to exploring this new city tomorrow.

 

Comments

1

I believe there is a 12 hour time change so that would be 6:00 pm

  joe Jul 3, 2013 4:45 AM

2

Some monsoon season... over here... it looks as if you are having great weather.
Joe and I are enjoying each others comments...

  renie Jul 3, 2013 7:08 AM

3

Loved the bike! Does not sound at all like you to let the tank run dry. Trying to catch up to your other sibling's comments.

  Kitty Jul 3, 2013 11:39 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.