Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Easy Rider meets Khouang Si Waterfalls, Laos

LAOS | Monday, 1 July 2013 | Views [568] | Comments [2]

"I thought the gas gauge needle was broken"

Khouang Si Waterfalls, Luang Prabang, Laos: I thought it was going to be a slow day today. I really didn’t feel like being in a tuk tuk for 30km (19 miles) to go out and see the waterfalls. I promised my wife as well I wouldn’t do anything crazy. Would renting a motorcycle to explore the countryside be considered “crazy”? I don’t think so. After all, I had a full 3 months of riding my brother Joe’s motorcycle in Akron, Ohio. That makes me an expert, right? So I go to the shop and pick one out, get a helmet and leave my passport as a security deposit. It was a beautiful ride out to the falls and I was there in about 45 minutes. I explored the Park (Bear Reserve as well) and took a dip in the cool waters. Then it was back on the bike to return to Luang Prabang. About 4 KM outside of the falls, the bike started gasping. I don’t know how I remembered, but there is a valve that you turn to begin using the “emergency gas tank”. (Thanks again Joe). 15 km later I glided into a gas station. It felt like an oasis in the desert. Put two liters of gas in there and I hit the roadagain.

Driving is Luang Prabang has proved to be somewhat of a challenge. There are no stop lights here but there are stop signs. The signs I believe are more of a suggestion rather than a hard steadfast rule. I have yet to see anyone stop at them. Also some of the streets are only one way but the city has yet to put up signs indicating that. The best way to tell if a street is one way is when people start beeping and waving at you. In the beginning I waved backed (friendly people) until I realize the error of my ways. Since there are only about 20 streets in town, it shouldn’t take me too long to memorize which ones are one way. When coming to an intersection, I found it is best to stick very close to a van going in the same direction since they give added protection against other vehicles fighting for the right of way.

Tomorrow I leave this lovely town and head to Saigon. Rest assured, I will NOT be renting any motorcycles there. They are crazy drivers according to the guide books.

Comments

1

Of course you checked with you car insurance agent before you left so that you knew your insurance would cover you in a foreign country...
Pants are still looking good!

  Renie Jul 2, 2013 4:37 AM

2

now that sounds like fun. thank god I did not have to see anymore temples

  joe Jul 2, 2013 4:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.