Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Feet don't fail me now!

USA | Friday, 21 June 2013 | Views [364] | Comments [5]

ANA Lounge at JFK

ANA Lounge at JFK

Chicago-JFK-Tokyo: The adventure has begun.  I stayed up last night until 2am packing and there were some winners and losers.  Winners: my medicine, camera, laptop are going on the trip with me.  Loser: the backpack is staying in Chicago (sorry Kitty).  I have one mini backpack weighing 500 lbs (camera, laptop, adaptors, transformers, books) and one carryon.  I couldn’t make it with 2 backpacks. 

 

I don’t know what I was thinking when I booked my flight from Chicago to Newark for my connection to JFK.  I thought it was 30-40 minutes away.  For those that want to use the same connection, please allow yourself a minimum of 4 HOURS to connect.  Fortunately I had a van driver (we tipped him really well!) that bypassed the clogged expressways during rush hour and took side streets almost exclusively to JFK airport.  I got a rather pleasant tour of Staten & Coney Island along with Brooklyn and New Jersey.  I don’t recommend it however if you are in a rush to make your connection.  He did it in 2 hours 45 minutes which enabled me to enjoy the 1st class ANA lounge for 3 minutes.  (Needless to say, I stocked up on fruit bars, crackers, and cheese to last me my entire journey in SE Asia). 

There were only 4 passengers in 1st class (Eat your heart out plebeians…or is that “Let them eat cake”?). I really didn’t look the Donald Trump type however in my 11 pocket/fiesta waistband cargo pants.  My private suite on the plane was bigger than my hotel room in Tokyo (more on that later).  It took me 6 hours of the flight to figure how to move my seat and turn on the lights.  There was even a compartment to store my glasses (see photos).  For dinner I decided to eat like the natives.  I had some of the most delicious green, white, black, yellow, purple and red food in all of my life.  I recognized some fish and seaweed but not sure what everything else was. 

Thirteen hours and two minutes after leaving New York (6,934 miles), I have arrived on leg one of the most glorious adventure!

 

Comments

1

Was there any dog in that native food? ...or is that coming later in the trek?

  Peter Sampogna Jun 23, 2013 2:41 AM

2

I am WATCH ing you

  joe craig Jun 23, 2013 10:01 AM

3

Chris, for shame... if you couldn't fit it in the back pack then you packed too much! Enjoy, stay safe, and keep us(me) posted... and get Joe a watch.

  Renie Jun 23, 2013 9:06 PM

4

Chris, for shame... if you couldn't fit it in the back pack then you packed too much! Enjoy, stay safe, and keep us(me) posted... and get Joe a watch.

  Renie Jun 23, 2013 9:06 PM

5

Does this mean you're not coming to poker tonight?

  Bob Kraft Jun 25, 2013 3:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.