Existing Member?

Vagabonding There is no shortcut to anywhere worth going.

At the Drop of a Hat

SOUTH KOREA | Thursday, 15 April 2010 | Views [556] | Comments [2]

One would think, as a teacher, I get up get ready and go to school simple as that right?  Then I have a schedule that I follow and it is easy, organized, neat and clean. 

Nope, never, not once yet. 

Everyday something changes, or comes up or something.  Todays was huge.  

Apparently there are country wide broadcasts all week to test the students English at Middle school levels 1, 2 and 3.  So yesterday was the level one comprehension and it was broadcasted over the radio from 10-10:30am.  Today they did level two.  Of course, for whatever reason, the signal was poor today and the broadcast was cutting in and out a bit.  This made it very difficult for the students and it is a very important test!  It actually is recorded across the country and it places schools in rankings and it helps determine where the middle schoolers will be place when they go to High School.  

So what do they decide to do?  Make me read the entire thing out loud to all of grade two.  I was broadcasted over the schools PA system for the students to complete the test.  I even had to have conversations with myself, yep, I was androgynous, man and woman.  It was hilarious.  Anyways, it seems I saved the day.  I hope they remember this when I ask for time off!! 

 

Tags: south korea, teaching in korea, tongyeong

Comments

1

Thank you for these beautiful little pictures into your life in South Korea! What an incredible experience! I so wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see you read the whole thing!! Brings me back to "G12. G as ins goat.... maaaa! 12 as in 3 times 4!" I love your spirit and gumption. Keep us updated! I'm living vicariously through you! (although I am planning on doing TESOL in greece in January...)

  Jenn Apr 16, 2010 8:17 AM

2

I love that you have kept your sense of humor...and of course, no surprise you saved the day! That's what funny,smart, well adjusted, red-headed, freckled faced daughters do...I am so proud of you!

  mom Apr 17, 2010 6:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.