Existing Member?

The Big O.E An epic adventure across the world, backpacker style :)

Musings

THAILAND | Thursday, 12 April 2007 | Views [853]

Floating lillies, Jim Thompson House

Floating lillies, Jim Thompson House

Just taking a few days to rest and recover from a very full on week. It was quite funny that Easter came and went before we even realised it was Easter! The big thing here is the Songkran Festival, and it just happens to be perfectly timed for our one year wedding anniversary :) It's not so raucous and drug induced as Holi in India, but it does involve large amounts of water being thrown over everyone in the street. Should be fun. Especially as we arrive in Bangkok at 5am that morning after a 12 hr bus ride....

We are having a peaceful time by the beach in the little town of Khao Lak (in the South on the Andaman Sea, a few hours north of Phuket). It has been wonderful to hear what's happening in Invercargill (babies about to be born, weddings, school stuff, and babies due to be born in 6 months!) and receiving good wishes for the 15th. It's hard to believe that a whole year has passed since our wedding in Hokitika!

We've met some great people on our travels: Louise and Gary from Scotland, who had been to India and are diving their way around South East Asia, Richard from England, Methi (half Thai/half Dutch) and Siti (hald Indonesian/half Dutch) currently in Thaland, all on the dive live aboard, and lots of others along the way.

It has been such a bonus being able to speak French. There are so many more people I can talk to, and it's great to hear people talking so enthusiastically about their own country in their native language. France is going to be so fun...

Big hugs and kisses from both of us - we are thinking of you (in Invercargill, Oamaru, Christchurch, Hokitika, Wakefield, Auckland, other places in NZ, Perth, Sydney, UK, USA, travelling the globe...)

PS For lunch today I had Mainland cheese and crackers and James had meusli with yoghurt (those sporks have been so handy Cathryn!). Think we just needed a break from spicy food :)

XXX

Tags: Philosophy of travel

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.