Existing Member?

The Big O.E An epic adventure across the world, backpacker style :)

The Red Sea without the diver soup

EGYPT | Friday, 16 May 2008 | Views [763]

Forget the endless stream of day boats clogging up the dive sites at Sharm. For the entire time we were diving the Fury Shoals at Wadi Lahami we shared the water with no more than 5 other divers! We basically had the entire resort to ourselves too! It can only be a matter of time until word gets out though cause the reefs and fish were amazing. Every one of our 20 dives were so pretty and full of healthy forests of coral and teeming with more fish than you could count. I certainly wasn't short of subject material to get used to using our new underwater housing for our camera.

Anyhows, just some of the highlights for us were:

The 'Stariway to Heaven' at Lahami South - a gorgeous coral valley rising slowly up to an amazing soft coral wall and a huge coral arch.

Seeing so many huge tuna that they don't even seem remarkable anymore

Making friends with metre long inquisitive Napoleon fish

Hanging out with turtles on the house reef

Working it with all the photogenic Lionfish

Hanging on the edge of the inky black abyss at Shaab Maksour

Laughing so much that my mask filled up with water at Monaco man, his batman fins and huge 'I need to make up for something' underwater camera setup.

Snorkelling with Spinner dolphins at Sataya reef

The huge clouds of tiny brilliantly coloured fish swarming over the tops of the reefs

Whitetip Reef Sharks and Giant Morays all over the show

and the coral...

Red Sea Diving Safari did an equally good job of keeping us happy on land. The cleaners, not normally a highlight of a trip, require special mention here. Every day after we arrived back after our morning dives we would arrive back to find a new surprise that they had left us. One day it was our blankets and towels folded up to make a huge swan on our beds. Another day they had used our clothes, glasses and a book to recreate me reading in bed. Funny.

And my fave thing(aside from the dives of course!) was seeing the camels walking through the tents in the desert, and seeing the moonrise over the sea! xxx C

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.