Existing Member?

Cambodia Challenge

Day 8 - First day of visiting Sunrise

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 12 November 2009 | Views [699]

We were supposed to start the day with a blessing for geraldine by the monks, but her operation is happening a bit later now. We all chipped in to buy paint so we could paint the kids rooms and the outside building. This morning we focussed on the rooms. There wasn't enough paint brushes or rollers for everyone so we took it in shifts. 3 rooms were painted - yellow, blue and pink. I worked on the pink room. The kids were at school in the morning but there were still some little ones hanging around. The absolutely love Helen and were all just hanging from her. She had given them balloons and the kids loved the balloons. I hung out with them until there was a paint brush free. I helped paint the girls room pink. We were all drenched in sweat from this activity. But we had to get used to it because we are spending the next 3 days doing this. Lunch cost us $2 each per day. So cheap. The kids came home from school and had their lunch then a sleep. Of course, Nam found me straight away and stuck to me like glue. Mavis brought some beads for the kids to make some bracelets. She had planned to give them each portions but at the time, more and more kids surrounded us and even though there were other girls helping us help the kids, it was difficult to have any control. It was amazing to see how excited they were to do some craft. The boys were involved just as much as the girls. The boys wanted necklaces too. I helped Nam with a necklace. She beaded one end and i beaded the other. It was nice to be able to do that with her. Little Sarim, a gorgeous 5 year old boy, siddled up to me and quietly sat on my lap and stayed there while he made a necklace too. I wasn't so sure that he would be able to do it. But i showed him how to thread the bead on the string. They were small beads and he did it very carefully and slowly. I love the nature of this boy. He is just so sweet. Whenever i talk to him or ask him a question, he just says "yeah". I'm not sure whether or not he understands. Nam doesn't speak english either. Although i know she understands some. We communicated quite well anyway. Jewellery making was exhausting, but the kids were really happy and content. It was nice to watch them create their own masterpiece. There were a few beads that dropped on the ground but every single one of them was picked up and used. Headed back to the hotel around 2.30pm. we were supposed to stay til 4.30 but with the heat and the intensity of the kids, as well as the painting, we were all exhausted. In the afternoon, i hung out with my peeps, Mavis, Sabine and Vicky. This was the first time we all had sat together and really got to know one another. It was so much fun. We went to La Croisette which is a french cafe restaurant situated right on the river front. They made amazing cocktails for $4. We talked and talked and talked. I think i had dinner with everyone but i can't remember where it was.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.