Existing Member?

Cambodia Challenge

Day 7 - Return to Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 11 November 2009 | Views [744]

On the road again, this time by bus back to Phnom Penh. First stop was the sight of Sunrise 3. This is being funded by computershare. We had to park the bus at the main road and walk in through a village. All the villagers came to greet us. The kids were just beautiful. Again greeting us with big smiles and hellos. It was really hot, just as every other day we had experienced. I was still weak and walking so far made me feel quite faint. I had a bottle of water clued to my hand by this stage. A couple of men on motor bikes came by and offered us a lift up the hill. Zoe got on the back of one. She was hilarious. Zoe is on the councillors at the Kids Helpline. The guy on the bike she hopped on was bare chested and she slapped her hands straight on his chest and held on tight as they whizzed up the hill. Vicky hopped on the back of the other one. She sat side saddle. Sunrise 3 is being built for orphans with HIV & Aids. They haven't commenced building yet because they are waiting for the government of Cambodia to grant them the land titles. It was great to see where it is going to be. All the village kids had joined us, I had a photo with them. I have never seen so many cute kids.

The drive back to Phnom Penh was four hourse. Once back in Phnom Penh we had some free time. It was time to hit the laundromat followed by the russian market which really was a hot place to be. We had a crazy tuk tuk ride - one really puts ones life in their hands when riding these things. Then sat down for some lunch and a drink at a a cafe called Yejj. Its a cafe owned by a Canadian. http://www.yejj.com/cafe-yejj and is highly recommended. I had a vegetarian burrito which was delicious. I really liked this cafe because they train up their staff that are from underprivileged backgrounds and train them up in hospitality and english. Their mission is to impact and strengthen the social situation of young people in Cambodia. Caught a tuk tuk back to the hotel.In fact this was the disco tuk tuk and i have some video footage of us going off on the tuk tuk.

Back at the Diamond Hotel, Mavis and I were unlucky with our room. The first room they gave us, they told us there was no hot water and moved us to a room on the top floor. The second room had a dodgy air conditioner. I was concerned about this because i was didn't want to spend a whole night sweating and losing fluid when i had just had 3 iv drips a couple of nights ago. They told us the hotel was fully booked. But after they sent up housekeeping to take a look, they gave us a choice of 2 other rooms. this did not look fully booked to me. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.