Existing Member?

Brian and Davina's journeys

Angkor Wat

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 13 January 2010 | Views [740] | Comments [1]

After a days site seeing in Bac Hao (amazing market-buffalo, pigs, dogs all for sale (dont like thinking about the fate of the poor dogs), we set off on overnight train back to hanoi. Arrived 4.30 am then on to airport for flight to Bankok and onto Siem Riep.

Angkor Watt truly stunning. Huge area of temples, Day 1 we concentrated on Ta Prohm- this is my imagination of what it would be like. Used in Lara Croft film- giant stone faces in the jungle gradually being taken over by the jungle again. Huge roots, like octopus tentacles, gradually sprawling over the man made temples. An ode to the power of nature.

If you visit ask to go to NORTH entrance. This is away from main tourist path which has been cleared up. You go down a path through dense jungle and imagine you are an intrepid explorer.

Staying in Pavillon d,Orient- no 1 trip advisor hotel- highly recommend.

Read on plane about young designer from Madagascar who is doing amazing things with Cambodian silk- tracked him down- had boutique at FCC (foreign correspondents' club hotel)- where we went to have cocktails and to pretend to be reporters. Were invited to his workshop- amazing stuff- Davina thought she had died and gone to heaven!

then went on river cruise to see floating village. Family risked drowning by following us in small motorised canoe to sell us a beer- bit of child exploitation that we were not very happy about.

Went to Angkor Wat main complex for sunset- incredibly long galleries with wonderful bas reliefs.Incrediblr long legged Russian tourist- totally inappropriately dressed ( davina's photos, not mine!)Sadly sunset photo threatened as a large amount scaffolding. However, we heard that the best shot was on nearby hill- so off we went, and up we climbed- (near vertical steps at the top) and took some great photos ( including some of Buddhist monks having a cigarette break!)

Now off to Singpore - and guess what- Victoria has met us at the airport- whooppee!!

Kemble bear decides to stay here as wants to stay with their eldest daughter,Holly, and also likes Minty and Cosmo, and we cannot stand in the way of true romance.

Comments

1

How totally fab and interesting this trip is being. So glad you're having such an exciting time. The shopping news sounds intriguing.
Can't wait to read the next installment. Keep having fun.
loads of love; Happy New Year etc. etc.
Jenny x

  Jenny G Jan 13, 2010 11:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.