Existing Member?

Brian and Davina's journeys

Bangkok, Vietnam

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 5 January 2010 | Views [592] | Comments [2]

Stayed in amazing hotel in Bangkok and had delicious dinner with Nye, Noy and family. Now in Hanoi and loving the food and shopping. Off to halong Bay tomorrow.

Sadly Davina had her camera magically pickpocketed-taken out her camera bag whilst it was done up and on he shoulder within 2 minutes of leaving a wonderful embroidery shop. also some suffering of clam food poisoning in Goa so life is not a complete paradise!!

but still having fun!!!!

Halong Bay amazing- it is like a submerged mountain range with peaks sticking out of the water. Literally thousands of limestone rocks sticking out of the sea. Amazing food on Red Dragon Junk and comfortable berth. Drove through pouring rain (4 hours)but then it stopped- but still no blue sky.

Overnight train to Sapa-v narrow berths and very bumpy ride. Now watching Mad Men DVD- can recommend. Sapa meant to be absloutely beautiful- terraced paddy fields, luscious green rice plants, but cannot confirm this as shrouded in a mist! Bought North Face coat to keep warm ( only £30 here).

Sapa full of local Hill tribes girls selling their wares- very picturesque- one tribe has black headgear, 1 tribe has red head gear. But they are very pushy, and even if you say no they still follow you around for a while. Davina was mobbed by a large crowd-see photo.

Woke up to blue skies and views of distant mountains that we had no idea were there. Went on mini treck through 2 local villages with a guide from the hotel whose family lived in one of the villages. Loads of exciting costumes and amazing faces. Met her grandmother and went into their home- wood fire for cooking and heating,corn hanging up to dry, clothes being made (hemp being spu weaved), and dyed in indigo blue  plus TV in back room.

Amazing views of terraced rice paddy fields- works of art. Big fat pot bellied pigs, chickens and buffaloes wondering around. Much less hassle, annd everyone very friendly. most of the women speak some english- the men don't bother.

Comments

1

Having been pointed in the right direction, I am catching up with your progress! Wonderful.

  Sandy Jan 6, 2010 2:19 AM

2

sounds good, think you should start growing a beard bri. proper traveller! Thought about it- but Grandma Joyce would never forgive me, and way too itchy for me and scratchy for your Mum!

  Angus Jan 12, 2010 12:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.