Existing Member?

My Big Adventures

Day 1: Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 2 January 2007 | Views [622]

I wonder if "WOW" could adequately sum things up?  BsAs (local lingo) is built for walkers - green space and parks everywhere, and spectacular architecture. Like Paris, I guess, as that is always the comparison, but since I've never been to Paris, I can't say.  By the time I got home this afternoon for a little wine and cheese party, I had discovered it's pretty useless to take pics of statues in parks and beautiful buildings.  They're pretty much all over the place.  

In any case, I walked all day, beginning with the Cementerio de la Recoleta, full of very rich and very dead residents.  The tombs are elaborate - in some cases like small cathedrals, complete with stained glass windows.  

The embassy area (found Canada, but didn't bother popping in to say hi) is gorgeous, full of (I would think) very expensive townhouses and Land Rovers. 

Best idea of my day: Although I am pretty familiar with my neighbourhood now, and can find my way back pretty easily, it was a VERY good idea to write down the address.  That way, when I've wandered off way too far to walk back, and am weighed down with wine and cheese and french bread for afternoon tea, all I had to do was hand the address to a cabbie.  And for 6 pesos - about $2 US, I was back home.  

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.