Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

Hong Kong

CHINA | Monday, 14 May 2012 | Views [602]

It was a hasty retreat from Italy yet the five trains and one bus seamed to take forever. We traveled back to the chalet in France where we had left our snowboards and other gear and stayed for one night before jumping back on the train to St Pancras station in London. We then got some sleep at my sister's house in Chiswick and hired a car to get back up to Manchester to get our surfboards and say a thanks to my aunt Elaine. Then it was back to London to see Will, Chris and Jess and then heading to Heathrow for our flight. It was a hectic week but we got everything sorted. The flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong was a grueling eleven and a half hours, its a long one for sure. The first day was a jet lagged dream of half consciousness, but we went to Temple street market in the evening where the stereotypical display of Asian manufactured goods were on sale. The prices, although cheap, are not as low as Thailand or Indonesia but cheaper than Australia or Canada.  The next day we went to Ocean Park which is a fun park near the city that has roller coasters etc. It was  good day but the heat and humidity was over whelming. On the Wednesday we went  to a Asian buffet with Danielle's Grandmother, who was also kind enough to let us stay at her house in the city for the duration of our stay. So we definitely had a authentic Hong Kong experience. We ventured out to the Big Buddha, the must see tourist destination in Hong Kong, as well as a few visits of the beautiful gardens that are scattered amongst the immensely crowded concrete jungle. A mandatory trip to the peak was also undertaken to get the obligatory photo of the city all lit up. It was a good five days and I think I enjoyed Hong Kong more than I anticipated, but now a feeling of proud reflection has crept over us, as we think of all the places we have been over the last fifteen months and the impending moment of reaching Australia. But we haven't gone around the world just yet. We arrive in Adelaide to see my parents and see some old friends, before driving halfway across Australia back to where we started- Coffs Harbour.Let the adventure continue. 

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.