Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

El Salvador

EL SALVADOR | Sunday, 21 August 2011 | Views [746]

El Salvador has a history that is shrouded in civil war and violence and the warriors still remain. We crossed the border from Guatemala with the usual hoo- ha regarding the importation of the car then promptly got pulled over by the cops. However, El Salvador’s government have been trying to reverse the trend of corruption that plagues Central America and we didn’t have to bribe anyone this time. Our first stop was El Tunco in the west of the country. This area is pretty sketchy with some friends of ours being robbed at gunpoint only a few weeks ago.  There are a few good surf breaks around here such as El Sunzal and La Bocana. I paddled out at the latter one morning and before I had even got out the back some local surfers started harassing me and telling me in to go and surf elsewhere. I can’t understand much Spanish but it was pretty clear that gringos weren’t welcome. They surrounded me and continued the tirade until I paddled down the beach to a different peak. The vibe on the land wasn’t much better with a lot of staring etc and comments to Danielle. It wasn’t all bad though, as we got some good waves and met some other travellers in the hostel.

After a few days we went further down the coast to El Cuco and a point break called Las Flores. We managed to get a cheap room right on the point, literally. It was actually below the high tide mark. Real basic accommodation but location, location, location! Las Flores was a great wave that peeled forever and we surfed our brains out. There is another wave that I got a boat to called Punta Mango that is heavy and great fun but unfortunately it’s full of Brazilians. These guys are by far the worst nationality of surfers on the planet. Everywhere they go, they bring their arrogant attitude with them. They drop in and snake everyone, even each other! Honestly, they should be embarrassed with their behaviour and what they have turned surfing into. Anyway... we met some great Aussie, Austrian, Portuguese, American, Hawaiian and Kiwi crew that we hung out with and shared some awesome waves with. Unfortunately El Salvador’s great waves are in really putrid water. Some friends got ear infections, eye infections, sickness etc. Danielle had the misfortune of having a skin reaction which kept her out of the water for the rest of the trip.

7 days down in El Cuco was enough and we made the decision to do the biggest U-turn of the trip and start heading north. It really was weird driving in the opposite direction after heading south for so long. We went back to El Tunco for a few days where I surfed Punta Roca which is the best wave in Central America but unfortunately it is in a really sketchy town called La Libertad. Stories of surfers being robbed are a regular occurrence so Danielle stayed in a safe restaurant whilst I surfed the point. The first day I surfed it was really crowded and hostile with locals sending in gringos but the second day was the opposite and I managed to get some great waves with only 3 other guys. This was my last surf in El Salvador and after 2 weeks of great waves, we were absolutely surfed out. Time to head north. 

Tags: el cuco, el salvador, el tunco, heat, humid, las flores, ocean, surf

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about El Salvador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.