Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

Barra de la Cruz

MEXICO | Tuesday, 26 July 2011 | Views [1120]

It took hours to get to Barra de la Cruz, the legendary point break that featured in the Rip Curl competition a few years back.  We actually thought that we had missed the turnoff and were concerned that it might be dirt roads and unattainable in the pouring rain.  Fortunately, there was one sign that we did not miss and we were able to manoeuvre our way to the beach.  We pulled up to on shore right hand point break, not very inviting at the moment we saw it.  Had some tasty guacamole and ceviche at the restaurant overlooking the break and headed off to find some accommodation.  We rocked up to Pepe’s Cabanas and were stoked to see surfers and travellers everywhere.  We locked ourselves in for 2 nights and waited for the surf to get better.  The next morning conditions were marginal, it was a bit bumpy but we both of got a couple.  The rest of this day and the next it rained...so we were able to spend time with our new neighbours including some friendly and fun European, Canadian, Aussie, and Mexican crew.  Over the next few days the surf improved and I even got some good ones!  We decided to stay several days and enjoyed our time with our simple dry, clean accommodation, tasty food, and frequent cheap beers.  There was a really nice vibe at Pepe’s with girls and guys all getting along having laughs and also out on the water.  A good balance especially compared to other places we have been.  We made some big decisions about our trip as well while we were at Barra.  Since we have been having such a good time in every place we have stopped so far, we decided we would not be completing our original itinerary of heading all the way to Panama.  Now, we will be taking our time through the rest of Mexico, into Guatemala, then El Salvador...and maybe no further.  It is a relief to not feel the need to rush through when we can take our time and enjoy more along the way.  Now we are heading into the mountains to check out some ruins in San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque.

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.