Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Happy Birthday Brayden!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 5 January 2012 | Views [895]

This morning Roni was up early for more laundromat time down the road – getting everything shipshape and clean for Chantell’s return tomorrow. The weather started wet and wild but eased off by the time Bray was awake. While the washing went through the cycle Roni went in search of birthday candles, printed out a voucher required for today and other bits & pieces.

An hour or so later she returned to open birthday cards with Brayden (thanks Margaret and Owen!) before cooking up the last of the hot dogs for a festive brunch enjoyed with some How I Met Your Mother (of course!). Once clean and dressed we ventured out and to the tube. Bray didn’t know what was in store so got excited when we disembarked at Piccadilly Circus as he thought we were going exploring there. Sad to disappoint him Roni still led on to the Piccadilly Line and we rode some more to Holloway Road.

A little walk through the rain and we were at Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal football team. Here we did the self-guided tour and checked out their store. Many photos taken on the tour and we learnt things as well as marvelling at the sheer size and scale of the place!  Eventually exiting we walked an exterior  circuit of the stadium to see all the legends adorning it, facts, statues and such all around on our way to Ardsenal tube station. The rain had stopped by now though the strong wind persisted.

Next stop, Victoria and Albert Museum take two where we spent many happy hours exploring new areas as well as striking it lucky in the gift shop. We’d been searching fruitlessly for something in particular all trip and found it there! We had to leave as closing time loomed and we caught the tube to meet Roni’s Scottish mate Ayley at Leicester Square for a quick catch up. First time they’d seen each other for 6 years and so we fit a lot of communication into a short time while consuming tasty treats at Valerie’s Patisserie. Ayley had the healthy soup option while we settled on a tart aux fraises that looked like one we had eaten in France. It turned out to taste just as good too so we splashed out and had one each – yum!

Our next stop was back at Leicester Square tube station to meet Clare for the tent handover and final farewell. Though late for another engagement she ‘broke us off a little’ and came for a drink and chat before going our separate ways. It was sad to say goodbye as it has been so great having time with her here in London – at least we get to see her again this year!

Back to the tube station again then home to Maida Vale for a final pack/clean up before ‘suiting up’ for a celebratory dinner. Rawiri and Laura arrived soon after and the boys looked very dapper in their suits!  We walked down the road to The Red Squirrel pub for dinner and a drink before heading back to the house and clearing all our gear out. On the car ride to Codicote we saw another fox! Though it had very dark colour and Rawiri was convinced of its wolf-ness.

The dogs met us with much enthusiasm then it was time for cupcake and candles for Bray – happy birthday sung too of course! Laura headed to bed soon after as she had work in the morning but the boys stayed up long enough for a few games of FIFA on the xBox before sleep.

Happy 30th Birthday Brayden!!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.