Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Fun with ice

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 4 January 2012 | Views [720]

Bray survived his first ice skating experience today – without falling over even once! An astounding feat. We headed to the rink at Natural History Museum nice and early to beat the hordes and were blessed with good weather this time. An hour on the ice was definitely enough as our feet weren’t used to the skates so getting a bit sore on it after a while. The feeling of ice skating was definitely something new and different for Bray who had understandably expected something a little like roller blading in terms of sensation.

We had a little bit of time after this before our next appointment so popped into Victoria & Albert – that museum is AWESOME. Bray was so wow-ed that he insisted we return tomorrow to give it some quality time on his birthday! What little we did get to see definitely amazed us and left us wanting more.

Next we jumped back on the tube to St Paul’s where we met Sheetal – a member of Brayden’s ‘sister flat’ in Wellington and an awesome chica. After wandering along the Thames for a while we made our way to The Banker (the ill fated pub we have been to while it is closed 2x already) which was open and ready to serve us – yay! We nabbed seats by the window overlooking the Thames and imbibed a cheeky beverage with some hot chips to sustain us as we caught up on each other’s news. SO good to see Sheetal and catch up! Eventually she left us to go and catch up with more Kiwi and Aussie mates at her next location. We walked her in the general direction to make sure she got there before heading back down to the Thames.

Now to Tate Modern, the building itself is ma-hoo-sive and a really interesting space for exhibitions. We started on the top floor and worked our way down through the exhibitions and installations until it was almost closing time. Great to see a few works Roni recognised from the various art classrooms she has frequented over the years (thanks Mum, Fee, Deb and others!) and we really enjoyed some of the installations and a number of the paintings and sketches.

Then it was time for evening prayer at Westminster Abbey after we made our way there through the drizzle. No choir tonight but it was still cool to meet where other people of faith have been fellowshipping for so many years and surrounded by historical figures and the soaring architecture. After the service ended we had a nosy around the church itself before passing Westminster and Big Ben all lit up with their Christmas tree still shining brightly.

Home on the tube and via the co-op to get hot dogs for dinner before hitting the packing and cleaning with breaks for How I Met Your Mother watching and eventually to bed – after midnight so we could HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bray before it was time to sleep.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.