Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

East London town exploring

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 2 January 2012 | Views [664]

Today we set out to see some of East London as we previously hadn’t got in amongst it there a whole lot. Tube to Whitechapel where we exited to blue sky, sunshine and a commanding view of The Royal London Hospital before wandering the street markets marvelling at the fabulous saris and materials for sale, extensive range of fruit and vegetables (some of which we hadn’t even seen in SE Asia), alongside stalls selling anything you could ever need or want + some things you probably wouldn’t!

We were on the hunt for new carry-on luggage as our backpacks both have ongoing zip issues and did not seem large enough to cram in all we would need to on the way home. After wandering for some time along Whitechapel we happened upon the Whitechapel Church Bell Foundry which was established in 1570! All this before diverting down Brick Lane to soak up some history and culture, as well as grabbing a bite to eat..HOT chilli sauce included. Carrying on past mosque and graf we emerged at Spitafields Market which though being well above our price range definitely had some interesting history and was still adorned with lights and looking festive.

Carrying on back down Whitechapel we discovered a street covered in stencil, graf and sketches. Very cool – many photos later we carried on in our search for new bags...

Eventually in Petticoat Lane Market we found Rose Luggage who fit our bill. It took us an age comparing styles, wheels/no wheels, size and all the other factors but we left there with a new carry on each – success!

With our task of the day accomplished we ‘followed our noses’ past Aldgate tube station, nearing the Gherkin yet again, past Fenchurch Street Station (echoes of Monopoly) and towards Tate Modern. Time had passed by this stage and once again we left the Tate for tomorrow in order to really give it the time it deserved.

Instead we headed for The Monument. Passed many times on our London wanderings we didn’t know what it was in memory of or really what it was for. Arriving as the light was starting to fade we missioned it up the 311 steps to a view over London that was beautiful! Still enough light to see landmarks, locations and buildings but the lights of the city had begun to turn on too. Lovely.

The Monument itself is in memory of the fire of London, all those who died and all the landmarks, public institutions, businesses and homes that were destroyed. While up at the top (in the biting wind) we met two fellow Kiwis (Dale & Nicky) and ended up chatting with them until well after dark! After descending the 311 steps to be presented with a certificate at the bottom – a surprise – we then headed out in search of a nearby pub to share a beverage with the Kiwis. The Banker  is a pub by the Thames we spotted on earlier ramblings and have been keen to visit, unfortunately it was closed when we arrived. We parted ways at the bus stop before us two caught the tube home to Maida Vale, stopping briefly at the supermarket to grab a few supplies for dinner. Weary after our walking East London we relaxed on the couch until sleep called us.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.