Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Christmas Day!

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 25 December 2011 | Views [832]

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! It’s Christmas! Roni was up early watching for squirrels on the fence and emailing people back home but was soon joined by Bray and then Lara. Emails and facebook posts flying, soon followed by fake snow produced by Bray and Roni. It is so soft and fluffy...we had fun with it and a morning latte to pass the time until Clare emerged and Bray monstered her with the snow! Some presents were opened and exclaimed over next..a 3D squirrel picture, backpacking card game, a rubber chicken, partially consumed marmite, a Christmas lights necklace (promptly adorning our wee Christmas tree) and the penguin of death to name a few. Of course there were more ‘usual’ Christmas gifts like scarves, hats and body wash amongst it all.

Then it was time to bake croissants(from a can) and begin the breakfast production line. Everyone had chosen their ‘Christmas breakfast tradition’ food so there was a LOT to be prepared and we managed to get the time of readiness for everything matching for once! Salmon, poached eggs with hollandaise, tomato, mushroom , spicy sausages, bacon, fresh bread, pulpy orange juice and of course ribs for Bray! We pulled crackers, adorned our paper hats with stickers and shared the cheesy jokes.

After a few ‘shifts’ of breakfast we cleaned up before relaxing in horizontal positions around the lounge with Christmas music and movies on. Some quality Citadels had before we tackled the backpacker card game that Lara got from Roni and Bray. What a complicated game!! Lara and Roni tried to understand the instructions before giving up and letting Bray work it out. He eventually deciphered the rules and we gave it a go – even Clare got in amongst it!

Fresh air was then required so Lara and Roni headed out to Clapham Common for a walk and flew the kite. MUCH fun and we even got a few grins from people out walking as we ‘walked the kite’ around. Eventually the kite got ‘spinny’ as it sometimes does and we packed it up then kept walking. Families all over the show with scooters, bikes, footballs and dogs. We saw some squirrels and water birds, rushes and people fishing...eventually heading home to Clare and Bray via the church where William Wilberforce and other abolitionists used to go.

We got home to find the others already working on the meat and vegetables for tonight’s dinner. Well under way they were so we got in amongst it (where allowed!) and Bray got his NBA stream sorted so he could watch some of the Christmas Day showcase games while we watched some Spartacus on TV.

In time the kai was ready, and what a feast it was – roast kumara, carrot, potato, onion, corn, peas, amazing salad courtesy of Clare, new potatoes, ham, chicken and turkey...topped with mustard, cranberry sauce and Roni’s gravy.

There was some concentrated eating before cleaning up and relaxing again to aid digestion. Bray got some good NBA time then we all watched Independence Day on TV as Roni had never seen it!

A little more Citadels for Roni and Bray along with mulled cider all round before we were game enough to attempt the Christmas Mound with ice cream (the mini cupcakes had been slowly disappearing throughout the day). It was surprisingly tasty and everyone managed at least a little bit.

Eventually the late night last night plus all the warmth and kai today took its toll and we gave in and went to bed, dropping one at a time.

A good day with great company! Thanks ladies!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.