Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Almost Christmas...

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 December 2011 | Views [693]

Time today for a slow start as we opened the last window on our advent calendar from Maren, wrapped presents for our orphan’s Christmas in Clapham and thought about Christmas in NZ for our loved ones...

Eventually we got sorted and headed to Clare’s. Time for shopping list making and scheming before Lara arrived – excitement!! Off to the supermarket next for a shop that turned EPIC. Seriously a whole lot more stuff in the trolley than originally envisioned – Clare and Lara were determined that each person would have the ‘essentials’ of Christmas the way they usually spend it with whānau! Finally we got out of there and lugged our purchases back to Clare’s.

Next to find room in the fridge and freezer for everything, a definite challenge which Clare conquered with ease. We found some Christmas music, stories of travels were shared, Christmas cards opened and nibbles consumed before Roni decided it was time to make Guiness Chocolate Cake (at Bray’s request). The cupcake and mini-muffin versions of this mixture worked a treat but Roni didn’t let the cake sit for long enough so when trying to remove it from the cake tin everything went horribly wrong! It went to pieces and became what is known as the ‘Christmas Mound’ – once covered in cream cheese icing with a candy cane on top it looked festive indeed. Clare helped ice the cupcakes and then it Roni cleaned up the baking mess/dishes before it was time to brew up a hug in a mug (mulled cider) for everyone.

An easy dinner of pizza and extra-strength garlic bread was the next step after which Bray did dishes before a game of Citadels. Lara was inducted into the joys of the game while Clare chose to watch instead before opening a present early – naughty!

More dishes had somehow been created through nibbling and drinking so Lara did the next load of dishes before the NZ Christmas Day communications began. Skype with Roni’s Grandma and Mum, phone calls to numerous Bransfield cousins and Lara’s parents called and she got to talk to everyone in their house!

Roni and Lara had gone exploring to find out times for carols in the vicinity and take a circuitous route home to explore more of Clapham in the dark. So, at about 11.20pm Bray, Lara and Roni toddled off to St Mary’s for carols and midnight mass. The place was PACKED! Standing room only if you were late and we sung some carols with gusto before mass and sharing Christmas peace with the peeps around us. Mass went long and we got home around 1.30 definitely ready for some sleep. It definitely now felt like Christmas!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.