Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Camden Town...finally

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 22 December 2011 | Views [456]

We’d been talking about heading to Camden Town since arriving in London but hadn’t made it there despite all the London Kiwi’s (and others) saying we had to go there. Today was the day!

After rugging up we headed out, passing pigeons on Elgin Ave gorging themselves on yellow berries and to the tube. On arrival in Camden we wandered the main street and through all the markets and many shops. Loads of people and a whole lot of stuff for sale, the sculptures/painting/decoration on the outside of many of the shops were very cool and numerous photos can attest to this. We even had blue sky and sunshine in which to appreciate it all – spoilt!

On down the road to Camden Lock and that market, the water and willow trees were looking great in the afternoon light so we took more pics before descending into the seemingly never ending maze of stalls. Once again the variety, quality and awesomeness of men’s fashion here made Bray want to buy lots of things but he restrained himself.

The bronze horses of the Horse Tunnel and Stables Markets impressed us and we found a tiny games shop in Camden Lock Market that looked promising in our hunt for Citadels, this is a game we were keen to play on Christmas Day but had left ours in NZ.

We asked them and they were out of stock but expecting one game to arrive with a shipment within the hour or so. Excited, we continued around the market and found a Christmas present for Clare before returning to check if it had arrived – no luck. So we consoled ourselves with Chinese food on the scooter seats by the river before returning again to the game store...still no luck. This drove us to purchase a bag of hot mini donuts to keep us company on our walk home along Regent’s Canal.

During the walk we discovered some graf, The Pirate Castle, bridges underlit with fun lights, some artwork entitled Visions of the Canal by school students, a houseboat that was partially submerged and some that remained canal-worthy, some pretty regency housing, a pagoda with two swans and the Snowdon Aviary (we could tell it was coming closer by the smell – stinky!). The light was almost totally gone by this point so we headed up to some street lights for the last leg home past Regent’s Park, Lords and Maida Vale station.

Bray made delicious Shepherd’s Pie for dinner and we looked at photos from our last few days then a little bit of wedding chat, NBA watching and journal writing before bed.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.