Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Exploring around Trafalgar Square

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 21 December 2011 | Views [490]

After a rainy morning we set out for Trafalgar Square. Nelson on his column, fountains, hordes, nativity scene, Christmas tree from Norway, countdown clock to the 2012 Olympics, statues of the other admirals, a giant menorah sculpture to celebrate Chanukah and a model of Nelson’s ship in a bottle weighing 4 tons to ‘celebrate London’s immense ethnic wealth’- we didn’t really understand the link to be honest. Bray rode the giant metal lions (after getting a very wet butt climbing up onto it after the rain) and Roni shared a hongi with them.

Into the National Gallery next – a grand building! We spent some time appreciating the works Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Cezanne, Degas and many more before emerging culturally and aesthetically enriched to consume our mandarins outside.

On leaving the gallery we crossed the road, after spotting and photographing a London cab emblazoned with the logo and advertising of Ernst & Young - the company Roni’s sister Anna works for in Christchurch! St Martin in the Fields was our next stop and we admired their windows and sculpture reminding us of Christ at Christmas out the front. They were about to celebrate mass so we didn’t stay too long. Next we carried on past the Judith Cavel statue and multiple theatres until we stumbled upon the imposing art deco edifice that is the Freemason’s Hall – it covers two and a quarter acres! The rain arrived again about this time so we headed to Covent Garden where we appreciated the MASSIVE baubles (if they fell on you we think you could die – they are huge!), multiple shops, giant paella pans, delicious smells, topiary Rudolph with red nose and big Christmas tree.

Then...Bray found the Coca-Cola Christmas truck! The one that has lights all over it and is in the Christmas ads they do every year. He was very excited but got really shy – cute! Wouldn’t go over and get a photo with it or even get one of the free mini coke cans they were handing out, crazy...who would’ve guessed. We took a few photos of the truck nonetheless before walking past some luxurious robes outside a shop and the Working Donkeys of Covent Garden memorial plaque on our way back to the tube. We also discovered that the route we had walked was a huge loop and we could’ve just gone straight to and from things – oops! Another discovery was a fantastic travel book store, SO many titles, games and fun stuff...managed to escape with our wallets unscathed.

Back to Trafalgar Square for a few photos of Nelson from across the road by King Charles I in order to zoom in and get his face and stuff...turns out he only has one arm – you learn something new every day! More photos of the admiral’s arch that we had seen on our Buckingham Palace wander day, this time from the other side and we contemplated the National Portrait Gallery. In the end deciding we were done for the day and could return for the late night opening on Friday instead.

Back on the tube, home to Maida Vale for a quiet cuppa before Roni headed out again for dinner with school-friends Jess and Fiona near Picadilly Circus. She was early so had a chance to explore the area some more before meeting the girls and eventually opting for an Asian fusion dinner. Good catch up chats and some tasty kai before heading back to the tube for farewells and each going their separate ways.

Home again to share news of the evening with Bray before heading to bed as the sniffles and cough are still sticking around – grrr.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.