Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

A night out in Stevenage

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 17 December 2011 | Views [395]

Laura had a relaxing morning today, well-earned after all her cake baking and working during the week! We went to Hitchin with Rawiri as he was in need of a haircut. While he got a trim we wandered the market, listened to the Salvation Army band play carols, looked at the local church and birds flocking around the fountain, contemplated some baking at the market and saw dogs and people dressed in Santa stylings. We admired the historic Hitchin Troughs in the main square and the town crier in full regalia outside the chocolate shop before the cold drove us inside a smoke-filled café to have a hot drink. Seriously…their frying area was in the body of the place and they needed to invest in a extractor fan, hard!

Rawiri was eventually finished and we headed home to Laura. Off to St Albans we went, via Rawiri’s work to see if he had left his wallet there – success! A trip to Tesco for some shopping  then the St Albans Cathedral for a few carols and photos before wandering across the green to Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub for a drink and some hot chips. This pub was a childhood memory for Laura as her Mum’s friend used to own it. It has LOW ceilings and is one of the oldest pubs in the region – if not the oldest.

After this we headed home  via Tesco for the things we forgot to buy last time! Once home Roni was feeling particularly rubbish – no idea why, may have been something she ate? She eventually managed to throw up a few times and felt a bit better after that. No way was she missing out on Rawiri’s second lot of birthday celebrations!!

We had a quick bite to eat, Bray did some ironing and we had a few beverages to ‘warm up’ before heading across the road to meet Rawiri and Laura’s friends at the pub. More bevvies and some card games (plus a trurkey raffle) later then a taxi to Stevenage.

Here we met more of their friends, played more cards, danced up a storm and consumed a couple more beverages until it was time to go home.

A good night out had by all…and Milo the dog made the most of the McDonalds cheeseburger that remained downstairs when we all went to bed.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.