Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

SNOW!!!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 16 December 2011 | Views [377]

Not a lot admittedly, but…it DID settle on cars, fences and fields so we’ll take it!

A chilly morning trip on tube and train as the snow fell and excited texts kept us updated from Laura at work who felt like she was in a snow globe! Very cool.

It had stopped falling by the time we arrived but evidence was all around. We got into Codicote a wee bit early so had a pint and game of pool at The Globe pub across the road (it’s under new management and we have been trying to keep them going every time we are in town!) before meeting Laura home from work.

An afternoon in which we walked the dogs and Bray caught up on lost DJ Hero time! A mountain of washing had accumulated at our place in Maida Vale (no washing machine) so Roni churned through that and attacked the journal backlog before we whipped up dinner for the working fiancées (Rawiri and Laura).

Carols tonight – at a local pub called Robin Hood & Little John. We arrived just as the first batch of mulled cider was running out *sigh*. This stuff had been talked up to us by Laura and her friends so we were all psyched for a ‘hug in a mug’ only to have to share about an inch in the bottom of a glass between five of us…

All was not lost as they put another batch on quickly – whew! The pub had two resident cats, one which fled as the noise level rose and one which is very deaf so stuck around and was well fed on pastry titbits it managed to hook off unattended tables.

MANY carols sung – the self-appointed ‘choir master’ was VERY enthusiastic and allocated solos, co-ordinated rounds and kept us all in line! Rawiri wowed everyone with his golden pipes and at one point was even granted an instrument! Everyone else chimed in whenever possible (Bray hid behind the camera a little but got in amongst it after a few mulled ciders and pints of Guiness). Good times as the low-roofed pub warmed up with all our hot air (plus the open fires) and it was a welcome relief to get fresh air when we eventually headed in the direction of home (Codicote). On the way we passed through Knebworth to see some impressive Christmas lights before arriving to a rapturous reception from the dogs! The boys managed a wee bit of gaming before sleep but the girls crashed quickly.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.