Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Another quality Scottish museum...

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 22 November 2011 | Views [379]

Today was chilly again but the sun shone – yay!

We headed out relatively early to the Maritime Museum down by the waterfront = a free, educational and fun experience.

We learnt about the oil industry in the North Sea and its connections with Aberdeen, development of Aberdeen Harbour over the years, the old fishing industry there, propellers, more lighthouse goodness, famous Aberdeen families like the Duthies, how instruments like a sextant and Plessey current meter actually work, the HUET and Bray tried operating a fully functioning model ROV. We saw interesting artefacts such as the bell from Rainbow Warrior when it was a research vessel based in Aberdeen, a whale’s eardrum and a touring photography exhibition entitled With Scott to the Pole which inspired Roni to plan a few units of junior work for her return to NZ. The 3D film, model bunkroom and information about life on rigs once again convinced Bray this is not a future career choice for him! Shipbuilding was broken down into steps we could understand and it becomes even more inspiring this way, amazing skills and even more so in the days of old when the tools were much more rudimentary!

After an intringuing hour or so there we pottered off to Provost Skene’s house down the road. This place dates from the mid 16th century and is one of Aberdeen’s few surviving examples of early burgh architecture. Though not educated architecture buffs we enjoyed the house itself with its uneven staircases, various period settings throughout the rooms and surprises such as the Painted Gallery. This took us by surprise as we walked through an unassuming door into one of the ‘most important and unusual cycles of religious painting in Scotland’. The house itself has been through various incarnations as a lodging house, private house and even barracks at one point for English soldiers.

The sun was decidedly low in the sky when we left Provost Skene’s house but we were up for more adventuring so headed back toward the water. Feeling peckish we picked up a pie and sausage roll from a small bakery/store at the end of their day to sustain and warm us on our wander through the dusk. We made our way around the river to Duthie Park and explored as best we could in the gathering doom – met a few dogs with flashing collars on their evening exercise some hardy walkers braving the chill for their evening constitutional. The park has good slides, some cute gardens, a few memorials, many trees and artificial lakes/ponds galore.

Back in our local hood we met a friendly cat before heading home around the corner for Roni to make macaroni cheese for dinner – Bray’s request!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.