Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

A Bavarian Breakfast

GERMANY | Friday, 21 October 2011 | Views [571]

White sausages, bretzel and wheat beer for breakfast at 11am. To get to it we enjoyed a walk past Simon’s old kindergarten, dance classes, the town hall and various Pfaffenhofen landmarks including the ‘geyser’. Though this food and drink combo sounds kind of weird – especially in the morning...it was surprisingly tasty! Bray even was heard saying he ‘could get used to beer in the morning’. We consumed this traditional Bavarian delight with Simon, Maren and Uta. Afterwards we were hard pressed to move – the kai and inu definitely could be felt!

The day was clear though chilly and we enjoyed a wander around the centre of Pfaffenhofen before us two jumped on a train to Dachau.

We managed to catch the right bus from the train station and arrived at KZ-Gedenkstaette – the first concentration camp for political prisoners built in Germany under Adolf Hitler as Reich Chancellor, constructed in 1933.

Originally we were unsure whether to visit the site or not but as it was close by and Simon & Maren both were impacted by visiting it on school trips we decided to go. Both of us learnt new things about German history through the visit and were once again struck by human’s inhumanity to other humans.  Temperature had dropped and the wind was achingly cold despite the sunlight. Imagining the winters prisoners spent there was mind blowing – we were chilled through despite being layered up and it only being autumn! The camp site has many large and beautiful trees and it was surreal seeing beauty so close to where so much barbarity occurred. After 3 hours or so we had to leave as they were closing,

Caught our train back to Pfaffenhofen without too much trouble and met a friendly ginger cat on our walk home from the station. Another delicious dinner prepared by Uta and appreciated by us both! Chats after dinner about the war, German history, science and so much more before we eventually lightened the mood before bed by playing a family game of German style Ludo in which Uta OWNed the rest of us.  After this, us four young folk played another board game called Labyrinth which Bray especially enjoyed. Then bedtime for all!

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.