Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Hanging with the Uhde's

GERMANY | Wednesday, 12 October 2011 | Views [450]

This morning the boys (Bray & Simon) were slow to rise but managed to rouse themselves in time for breakfast with Julia before she headed to work around noon. It was delicious and great to have a little more time with her before we moved on. Time to relax, tidy up and make a few phone calls (Simon&Maren) before we wandered the town – seeing many banners, photos and such to commemorate Vettel’s victory, the Catholic church and a quick hike up the hill to the castle.

After this we were ready for some hot chips – yum! Quick visit to the supermarket, florist and back on the road. Simi made sure we had some tasty tasty new lollies to keep us going on our way to Bad Durkenheim. Tonight we are staying with Simon’s maternal grandparents – Herr & Frau Uhde. They are lovely! On arrival they fed us up real good with cakes galore- baked cheesecake, plum cake & citrus dairy free cake – and coffee. We shared some of their photos and they saw pics of Maren & Simon’s place in Hamburg before Herr Uhde gave us a short geography of the region from their balcony. Chats and relaxing until we headed out around 6.30 for a ‘short walk’ to dinner.

The short walk was pretty epic but it was a mild evening with nice scenery so all happy with that! We had dinner at Katherine’s Farm (it’s English translation) winery & restaurant.... it was delicious...traditional dishes and those typical to the area combined with a shared glass of new wine starter and red wine with our meal – we are on the wine road after all!

Dinner was lovely – great kai + great conversation. Our wander home in the dark was nice as the wind had disappeared, moon looked cool and the temperature was still mild. En route Bray & Simon indulged in a Mars McFlurry (no idea how they had room – the rest of us were well and truly full!) and once home we shared stories over a drink before bedtime.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.