Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Vettel-heim

GERMANY | Tuesday, 11 October 2011 | Views [456]

Last day in Darmstad :-(

Roni was up earlyish to say goodbye to Liz before she headed to work. We got clean, packed up and headed around the road to the other flat for brekkie. Simon’s auntie Jenny joined us and Steffi brought Sophie along for the fun. Breakfast was leisurely and tasty...Simon Friday and Bray did a little more music sharing afterwards as the others chatted and Roni had quality baby time with Sophie. Little Sophie was a bit tired as she had missed her morning nap but had fun and managed very well despite being weary! She is very cool – well done Steffi.

Everyone went their own ways and we hit the road to Hiedelberg around 1pm. A wee drive, found a park then wandered through the central city to meet Maren’s university friend Natalie who has just moved there. We had a drink and some zwiebelkuchen before walking Natalie to her hostel then heading up the hill to the castle. Besucherzentrum Schloss Heidelberg (the castle) is B.I.G and very cool!! The view from up there was fantastic and the town itself has so much history and intriguing buildings.

On our way down we met a cat for a pat and around the corner there was a lady up 55m pole!! We took photos, video and watched the show until she descended, on through the old town back to our park then on the road again.

Despite a few issues with roadworks making our desired exit closed we eventually made it to our destination,

Heppenheim – also known as Vettel-heim because Sebastian Vettel the current F1 champion is from there. We arrived at Julia’s (another Uni friend of Simon) place where she had prepared about 1kg of pasta with delicious sauce and salad..SO spoilt! Afterwards we had great conversation over a rosé, looked at maps of NZ, Europe & Niue then had more chats while Bray taught Maren how to play 3 Up 3 Down before bedtime.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.