Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Skipper joins the crew

FRANCE | Sunday, 11 September 2011 | Views [389]

We struck camp early and headed toward La Rochelle in the misty dawn. Spotted a Brocante fair in Cozes on the way and stopped to peruse the stalls. Were sorely tempted by a full croquet set for 15Euro but resisted the temptation and left there with one small porcelain penguin (Skipper from Penguins of Madagascar) as the rain began to fall. Got to La Rochelle where layers were put on – no rain but the wind definitely had a nip...a climate a little Wellington like! Went to the info site for a map and then wandered around town. Saw massive yachts in the marina, visited Englise Saint Sauveur (church of sailors for many years) and enjoyed their stained glass windows and an icon exposition. Walked past lighthouses, the town clock (La Grosse Horloge), Carmes convent (now a theatre), the waterfront and around all three towers (Tour St Nicholas, Tour de la Chaine & Tour de la Lanterne) before purchasing a fresh baguette and hot chips to munch for lunch with our legs hanging over the wharf edge.

On the road again and we found St Philbert church in Beauvior sur Mer. A winner on all fronts – it had a W.C, the church door was open and some great gothic and XVIIth touches.

Drove up to Noirmoutier next – across the HUGE bridge from the mainland. Found our campsite and checked in before finding a cute site right on the beach = AWESOME. Walked on the beach before setting up camp – Bray made us seats, a fireplace for our cooker and other touches to make our campsite homely. BIG load of washing done in their machines then a long wait for the dryer to be free... Roni on watch outside the laundry room watching birds, people and the beach while Bray did his campsite thing. He returned bearing hot coffee – legend...wait for it...ary! When the dryer eventually finished we emptied it (folding their things nicely) and put our stuff in. Then the drier wouldn’t start. Roni investigated with the Irish couple whose washing we had folded if there was a special knack required  and we had good chat but they couldn’t help. Eventually Bray forcefully manoeuvred the machine a bit and there was action. YAY! Except...it made the loudest noises we have heard any washing or drying machine make EVER. We tried to make the noises stop but there was no way that now it was going we wanted to stop it – after our 2hour+ wait to use it!! Nothing to do but laugh – though there was a little kerfuffle with campers nearby as it sounded SO loud. After what seemed like forever the machine settled and we went for a walk to explore town before collecting our dry washing. Back to our site for a hot dinner gazing at the calm water and big moon before bed.

 

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.