Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Brought to you by the letter G...

SPAIN | Wednesday, 7 September 2011 | Views [767]

We were on the road pretty early today. Last night when looking at pics from the day we discovered that the phone had not saved any of our pics from lighthouse adventuring! Gutted.

So we went and had breakfast next to it and wandered around with our sandwiches looking at people fishing off the cliffs, the sun coming over the hill, sail boats, people on the beaches, flowers, little skinks and birds and coastline. Went along the road and stopped at two other lookout points (having our breakfast coffee at one) on our way out of town.

On the road to Bilbao...it didn’t take long to get there. Once into town we found a park easily – the thing that took forever was paying for our park! Watched a local do it, then Roni tried to let the other couple waiting go first...turns out they are German and didn’t know how it worked either!! With our powers combined – and an interlude where Bray and Roni helped push start a van – a parking ticket was obtained. Success! It helped our egos that a Spanish woman ahead of us also struggled with the machine and had a swear or two at it while trying to get her ticket too...

Once paid up we set out in search of the Guggenheim. Wandering through a park with fountains, along the tramway and the river which we then followed to our destination. It is a pretty amazing piece of architecture! Many photos later with our usual walk around the whole building and we were getting peckish. Searched and found a supermarket relatively nearby (with the assistance of a map from the info site) where we grabbed an apple, cheap pack of choc croissants (treats!) and bread for our staple salami and cheese sandwiches. Back to the car and on the road again.

Next destination Guernika-Lumo. Roni has read the Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky a number of times and Bray has even read a bit! The Basque history and worldview from that book and also learning about the bombing of Guernika during the Spanish Civil War etc meant that this town was something Roni was excited about.

We got there, found a free park in the shade and made our way to the info site. A lovely lady gave Roni maps and explained where things were, also gave us info about the coast and shared some of her fave areas once she learned we were from NZ. Turns out she lived in Queenstown for a wee while and has even been to Nelson – she loved NZ and wants to come back.

We went to the Peace Museum – really well set out with huge impact and great information. Walked through Fueros Square, past the Town Hall, Cultural Centre and Elai Alai Convention Centre to Santa Maria Church. Then a mini-tour including a ceramic version of Picasso’s Guernica mural (Milan kept the original), Henry Moore’s Great figure in a shelter, Chillida’s Gure Aitaren Etxea and through the park of the European Nations to the Euskal Herria Museum. Next past Santa Clara church and convent to the Assembly House and oak tree. Amazing stained glass roof in the stained glass room of the Assembly House and the assembly room itself was pretty magnificent. Free entry to this too which was a treat.

Continuing on through the Seber Altube Auditorium with some interesting graf, Pasealekua Square with Memorial of Geurnika Battalion and the Ferial Gardens, Old Market and Mercurio Fountain.

It was past six by this point so we scampered back to the car and drove some back roads (think a combo of Paekakariki & Takaka Hill) to get to Sopelana where we planned to camp. Once again the directions from the website were a little vague...we stopped at the info site in Sopelana but it was closed so we used a combination of a bus stop map and the map from Guernika info centre to locate our campsite. Success!

Pretty packed out with campervans etc but we got a wee site with view of the sun setting over the sea. Dinner before it got dark then we headed to the restaurant to charge batteries & laptop and make use of the wi-fi to update pics for the travel journal etc. To bed before midnight (just!).

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.