Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Camping...almost NZ style!

SPAIN | Monday, 5 September 2011 | Views [498]

There was rain last night so this morning we waited for the tent & fly to dry out before hitting the road. Back through the windy forests before hitting the big roads. A fair bit of driving today...made it to Zaragoza. Here we only saw a glimpse of their awesome sights such as the Basilica del Pilar because the whole town seems in the midst of remodelling. Roads closed everywhere and when open they are re-directed all over the place!

Found a park then hit the pavements looking for the information sight at Plaza del Pilar. The signage led us on a merry dance but not the plaza. We asked many people for directions, most seemed disorientated in their own city! Found a French couple who had a map (but still seemed lost!) and eventually gave up our search for information and headed back to the car via a bar for Bray to use their bathroom. Public toilets are not a happening thing in Spain!!

Got back to the car and found that the huge carparking area we were in with lots of other cars now had chains padlocked across both exits.

Great.

Bray went and asked a group of guys loitering nearby and they sent him into what seemed to be a deserted office building. He persevered and found a man having a smoke who seemed to understand our predicament despite his lack of English & Bray’s lack of Spanish! He finished his smoke then drove out – unlocking the chain and releasing us on the way. Yay! We even found our favourite kind of supermarket on the way out of town so stocked up on the essentials – chorizo salami, bread and cheese. A quick munch and on the road again.

Some more driving before we successfully located Camping Ibaia. The lovely lady signed us in and told us we could go wherever we wanted. Deciding to steer clear of the numbered sights we climbed the hill at the back of the campsite (next to the firing range!) and made our camp. The sun was going down behind the hills, we had GRASS under us (as opposed to rocks) and were up our own wee hill – we like!

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.