Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Homeless again...Thanks again sus6 whanau!!

CAMBODIA | Monday, 22 August 2011 | Views [642]

An early start today - especially for Roni who didn't pack last night! We had breakfast and said goodbye to the whanau before strapping on our big packs and heading down the road. Successfully asked in Khmer to get to our destination and negotiated a good price too :-)

Once safely at the bus station Roni headed to Central Market to hunt & gather our lunch. We had some of Becky's yummy brownie and leftover rice from last night...augmented with meat on a stick, rambutan and mangosteen from the market. Yum! Mangosteen was new to us and had recieved a rave review in something we read. Not so from us, tastes okay but not overwhelming...

Our bus arrived, we got on and headed off. Apart from stalling early on in PP traffic our driver was the master of the road :-) The usual Khmer karaoke DVDs were not the sole entertainment en route for a change! It started this way then there was something like a Cambodian version of the Laughing Samoans followed by an ancient Jackie Chan film with the longest kung fu fight scene Roni had ever seen!

Highlights from the bus window include - 6 people all riding on one pushbike, a massive waka being constructed, some FAT buffallo, free range massive duck farms, kids playing hula hoop with bicycle tyres and the pretty moth/butterfly inside the bus that landed on each of us in turn!

Arrived safely in Siem Reap and shared our rambutans with various peeps as we awaited pick up. There was also a massive cardboard box from the freight area that had live fish in a massive plastic bag visible in it!

The tuk tuk arrived and we were taken to our guesthouse. A quick breather then off to walk the streets. After perusing a massive lit up map on the main road (sponsored by ANZ) we meandered to and around the night market. Ended up at Smiling Sun eatery for dinner and had big chats with a waiter there. He gave us the inside word on getting around the temples - cheaper than any other quotes too! Sweet.

Walked home via the 6-11 (same as 7-11 but different) where Bray was overjoyed to purchase a Black Panther beer for 60c. Sweet deal. Roni managed to re-stub her left big toe AGAIN - how is this possible??

Back to our accomodation then to enjoy the ceiling fan and yes...we did watch some TV :-P The new show 'The Voice' premiered and some good singing + some not so awesome. Reminded us of Sunday nights with Bex and Burge - we miss you!

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.