Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

The Mekong River - and gecko poo.

THAILAND | Thursday, 14 July 2011 | Views [742]

Today Bray was lured up early (before 7am!!) to catch the 'roti lady' for breakfast - the tastiest roti EVER! We took our roti and computer to the coffee house and charged the laptop while Bray consumed a massive iced mocha and Roni tried a local favourite - fruit smoothie delux. Very nice! We had packed last night so one less job to do this morning. Back to the guest house for a final baggage check then into the minivan and on the road to Chiang Khong. Stopped at the White Temple en route - it is a temple with a difference! VERY white and shiny with an emphasis on skulls, reaching hands from hell and much darkness. Ironic in that it is so very white... Then on the road again - the roads in the North are definitely less well maintained so we were bumping and swerving as our driver did his best to avoid the biggest of the potholes - as well as a mother hen and her chicks, various dogs and cyclists that came our way. Some amazing scenery, much agriculture (I thought a lot of Gug and the uncles/aunts) and a variety of housing styles too. We made it to BOOM Guesthouse next to the Mekong River, wandered to explore the town and have just finished dinner. Yummy rice, veg and egg combo - Bray getting into the joys of soy sauce tonight also :-) During dinner somthing fell onto Roni - it looked like a little poo! Looking up there were no birds but there was a GECKO! As our dinner companions Scott & Camilla (from Brimingham) said, this must be REALLY good luck as how often does that happen? Fortunately lizards are very economical so it was brush-off-able :-) The rainy season has well and truly begun! Every day until now it rains for a max of an hour or so in the evening after the humidity builds up all day. Today it started around four and has now settled into the BIG raindrop, steady for months kinda rain :-) All good - it's still warm! One downside of Boom is well...the bathroom.... Our room is a decent size and pretty clean BUT if the door to the attached bathroom is open even a little the smell is like a giant monster bursting through! That's something we can deal with though - much smellies and fresh soap around the room and even in the fan cage to 'waft it' around the room (Bray's handiwork). We're also do not enter the bathroom unless in dire straits :-) Tomorrow it is another pre-7am start for Bray - breakfast then off to boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang (our third country - if you count Australia!)

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.