Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Road trip weekend

FRANCE | Monday, 6 September 2010 | Views [446]

So after a week of being back from the trip with the guests I decided I wanted to head away for the weekend and start the weekend missions. The week was really cruisey and we finished at 3pm most days with the hardest thing we did during the week being a washdown. Come friday i wanted to go away and one of the stewardesses as also keen to get away. She is from sweeden, and having though i had lost my wallet last weekend with my license and all (which I have just found out that I didnt and it was in one of the crews car) we were able to rent a car for 120 euros for the weekend, pretty standard here. Mike recommended we check out Aix en Provence which is a university town about 2 or so hours from here, Golfe Juan. Last minute really, we decided to head off and left at about 6pm on friday afternoon. We stocked up on snacks from the boat and had our duvets and pillows with us, expecting we may have to sleep in the car.

Bought us a map of the Cote d'Azur region and headed off. On the way we decided that we would head to Marseille and were thinking we would stay there the night somewhere. Ended up getting a little lost around marseille, found a KFC so we had something to eat there. We then decided since we didnt know where to find a cheap hostel that we would cary on to Aix en Provence that night where we had an idea of a place to stay that was reasonably cheap. This place closed at 1am for check in so we thought we would get there with plenty of time. We arrived in Aix en Provence with plenty of time yea....but we didnt have a map and spent about an hour driving around, trying to ask where to go. Being a university town and a friday night, most of the people we asked were half cut and no help. Anyway we made it to this place at 1.10am and luckily we were able to check in. Wasnt anything flash, i think it may have been an old hospital or something, but it was a bed and that was better than sleeping in the car. Included breakfast also so that did the trick.

The next day we got up, checked out and walked around the town for a few hours. We had an idea we wanted to check out the Gorges du Verdon (the verdon canyons) as they were recommended to us. Checked out the town, had a nice pasta lunch and went to a huge market. Awesome little town, plenty of people and a really cool place. Left Aix en Provence mid afternoon and headed for Castellane which is an old town situated along the verdon river with an amazing drive along the canyons. Took about two or so hours but wicked scenery. Arrived and found a nice place to stay with a pool and breakfast included for 20euros each a night. We had heard that kayaking was popular in the town so we booked for a white water kayak trip down the river the next day. That night we hit the superamarket, got a couple of bottles of wine, a selection of french cheeses, olives and hit the pool and had our french food! was pretty funny but very tasty. Had to do the french thing!

Got up the next day pumped for the kayaking. Elin and I were the only two in the kayak and the rest were in a raft so we think we got the best deal since we had to do the work ourselves and the others just paddled with their guide. Went through grade 3 rapids which was good fun and the trip was a couple of hours. Well worth 30 euros! would do it again any day! In Castellanethere is an old church on top of the mountain that sticks out like crazy and is a 40min walk to the top so we decided we would go up there after kayaking. Did the walk, was also a good trek. Amazing view and a mint day so it was all very good. See pics of the view etc. We were a little hungry after the walk so we decided to finish the weekend with something else french and went to a restaurant and tried escargots for the firs time. We had6 each and I really liked them. They just taste like what they are cooked in, garlic and parsley. Pretty interesting texture but very good. We decided after our nibble that we would hit the road and head back to out boat. Made it back about 5pm and have just relaxed all afternoon, si it had been a wicked weekend. I am going to try and get away for the weekend like that at least once a month. A mate has just said that I should get a week off at the start of october and fly to Ibiza with him for cheap as they are having alot of closing parties or something.....will try work it with the boss!

Anyway, this week will be pretty chilled and I dont think alot will happen so I may not post for a week. Hope all is going well! Au revoir

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.