Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Ischia update

ITALY | Saturday, 31 July 2010 | Views [531]

Right, ive been a bit slack on this lately. We were in Bonifacio, Corsica for over a week and that place is sick! Most days we worked until about 11am and then had the rest of the day off, and also had the weekend off completely as we dont have the boss onboard. Our days were spent wakeboarding/skating, taking the tender out to different beaches, meeting new people and other yachties and having a few at the several bars that line the port. The town is amazing, plenty of history and cool sights to see. Had some big nights and spent a fair bit of coin but nothing too over the top and was well worth it! Would definately like to get back there, but its a place that you only need a week or so at. Last day in Bonifacio we left for the cross over to Italy at about 8pm. It was a 12 hour trip and we all had an assigned watch duty. I had the graveyard shift with damo unfortunately and was at 1am til 4am. But we were able to sleep in til 9.30 when we arrived in Ischia, Italy. So got plenty of sleep. My job is usually to drive the tender into the ports we arrive at, dock it, and then get a ride back to the boat with a captainerie guy in order to help out with the lines on the boat. Am learning everytime and its getting more familiar, can be pretty nerve racking driving the tender into a port that hardly speaks english and asking where to go and for a ride back to the boat.

First day here we spent it washing down and getting all the salt off, bit of detailing etc. then we knocked off at 5 and went to the pub and most of the crew came for a few rounds. Was good. This town is quite small, no real nightlife and alot of oldies but its still a mint place with some good sights. Today we spent our time pottering round the boat, being a handyman on the yacht in the scorching sun is all good! our view from our aft deck is a view of the whole town and port and is probably a view alot would pay for, so were pretty lucky we can sit there with some beers enjoying it. The plan is to head off to Napoli, Italy (Naples) tomorrow, and get the boat completely ready for the boss and owners who are coming on Sunday.

Its going to be a full on month or so, after us getting used to holiday mode. Although our decky job isnt hard at all, it will just be tiring as most days we will have to get the toys out and help out with that, sounds good but there will be days when I would rather sleep than tow wakebaorders or ride the jetski. Still going to be good fun. Im quite looking forward to the trip in a way as were doing all of Italian Riviera. Well be going to the likes of Rome, Malta, Pompei etc and the owner quite often asks us to join him and his guests on their day tripz since we normally drive the tender in for them, so hopefully I get to see some pretty sweet sights. Hoping Rome is a goer!

Other than that its been all good. Need to get out of holiday mode. Food on the boat is awesome. Dangerous though as there is ALWAYS good food in there whether it be left overs or chocolate bars, drinks, beers etc. Thinking i will pack on the pounds if im not careful, used to living in the ghuznee household where the food in the fridge was pretty scarce, so i make the most of it!

Met plenty of people. Always good as I have places to stay later on in my travels. Just got back from a gelato down at the port, its not raining outside but theres a massive lightning storm going on out at sea. Looks wicked. Will be a quiet one tonight for a change as tomorrow should be pretty busy. Will try and update when I can, depending on how flat out we are. Hope all is well back home!

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.