Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

Snowflakes and quakes

INDIA | Saturday, 28 February 2009 | Views [538]

11.02.2009

The sky has been brooding black all morning. Last night we had our first rain in weeks, not much but enough to wet the fields and fill the air with wondrous earthy smells. I sent the kids home from school early as some have quite a distance to walk home.

We had the most incredibly beautiful afternoon as huge snowflakes fell, soon to carpet the entire landscape for as far as the eye could see. This is our first snowfall for winter and it lasted for about six hours. We spent the night huddled around Tara's fire chatting and playing games with the kids and when the snow stopped we walked home under a wide night sky filled with sparkling stars, the surrounding mountains illuminated under the moonlight.

In the last few days we have had a few earth tremors, the first for a long time. One occurred while we were in bed, given that the villagers go to bed fully clothed from the day we did have a giggle about running outside in an earthquake - one in daggy pyjamas and the other half 'nanga' (naked) and the repurcussions of being caught out!!

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.