Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

From a white wonderland to a deathly black...

INDIA | Saturday, 28 February 2009 | Views [595]

12.02.2009

This morning the mountains were like 'fairyland'. We woke to a pristine white landscape and at first light the near full moon dominated the sky as a massive white orb. Yesterday's snowfall was the first for this winter and the villagers rejoiced in the rejuvinating glow of rain and snow that may have just saved a little of the crops. School was called off for the day and snowball fights were the order of the morning. Town was alive with hurling white balls showering down from all directions, the sky a clear azure, the morning sun witnessed the sounds of snow tumbling off tree branches, off roof tops. Solar panels were carefully brushed clean of fresh snow as everyone geared for a day of fun in the snow and sun or to sit around fires discussing village life.

Then came a message that Arjun had died. Arjun is a local villager serving with the Assam Rifles stationed in Mizoram. He was shot three times in the chest during a 'skirmish', had two emergency operations in an Assam Hospital but died during the second operation. The death of a community member shiften the mood of the entire village from frivolous to sombre.

A vigil has been held outside of Kusturas house (Arjun's mother) all day and the wailing of women in exceptional grief can be heard through town. Arjun is survived by his wife Prema and a baby boy 'Ashu'.

At 2pm word came through that Arjun's body was being flown from Assam to Delhi and then by helicopter up to Bageshwar. The town's men then began the arduous walk out to be there when he arrives.The beauty of the day tinged by a profound sadness as copious tears mingled with the melting snow.

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.