Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

Solar dreaming becomes a fully fledged reality

INDIA | Tuesday, 23 December 2008 | Views [679]

Mounting solar plate in the mountains

Mounting solar plate in the mountains

I have to say that this project could be likened to being on a roller coaster, but it has been an incredible experience. Despite the extended transport period the 'fragile' goods languished at various railway platforms en-route, bounced around in trucks and were finally delivered by a mule train (14 mules in total) into the mountains... the damage was minimal (the final audit was four panels, one battery and some bulbs) and the GSBF readily replaced the goods. We had some remaining funds, this enabled us to provide some extra units, including a couple of elderly women who lived seperately from their families (a recent occurrence due to family disagreements), the local Baba and two temples that are used for festivals including poojas and Melas.

The beauty of the solar units lay in there simplicity, it was decided to have adult family members (female and male) help with installation, so that the basic technical aspects were understood by all participants. Educating the community with solar technology knowledge is beneficial for the future to trouble shoot any minor problems that may arise, especially if PEAK staff are unavailable for repairs/maintenance.

The installation began geographically at the lower end of town which is inhabited by Dalits (lower caste). As a mark of respect the first system was installed in the newly appointed Pradan's house as Dhanni Ram is the first Dalit Pradan in Khati's history - a definite milestone.

At first we were concerned that a few of the town's elderly residents may not have been keen on the new technology changing the ambience of their households. How wrong were we?! They actually think that lighting is the best thing out (um... aprart from maybe having a TV!!).

Throughout town the installation process was relatively smooth... that is if you don't include the odd crossed wire, small hands constantly fiddling with tools and the bee swarm that beseiged Scott and his small TA's high up on a slate tiled roof one sunny afternoon! We shall call that the "Day of Kailash and the great Bee-sting!" The bees are a new arrival in town having just built the most intricate and beautiful bulbous bee hive behind Devki'shouse. It consists of amazing honey coloured swirls and appears to be made of mud (but due to the hives position I haven't been able to ground truth that) and alpine grasses. Everyone had warned me about them, their Pahari name said it all - it sounds like "anger", and they are the biggest bee you've ever seen. The day that Scott and helpers were putting a panel on Devki's roof, the bees in question got mightily unhappy. They were like Kamikazees in action and as everyone fled the scene Kailash (Devki's son) got 'nailed' on top of the head and it only took one bite to render the victim "useless" for the rest of the day as he rappled with intense pain that in the end lingered for days. Locals claim that six stings will kill you - Ah... the perils of solar installation!

Women and children spend the most time indoors cooking, performing household tasks and studying and the sense of joy conveyed to us at having light to cook and read by is fantastic. The hospitality extended to us has been overwhelming with veritable 'feasts' being the order of the day, all prepared and cooked under solar light which has saved famillies from both the toxicity and expense of kerosene. The use of solar lights soon expanded to outside the home with the lights being used for a recent wedding and for a variety of Poojas.

There are some households who when their daily labour is completed the work under poor quality lamplight making clothes and inone case brewing 'home brew' to supplement daily income. These households have been thrilled to come home and  have the ability to switch on a light and commence work - often unitl late at night - without battling inherent eye strain. These happy light recipients claimn their productivity has been enhanced. An efficient light surce has changed household conditions and as a result has paved the way for future cottage industry. It has been incredible what a difference something as basic as efficient lighting can make to the daily functioning of a household.

PEAK was confronted with the vexing issue of packaging disposal. After much discussion, the decision was to deal with waste on-site. This included burning the cardboard boxes and all inserts, with the rest of the packaging re-used. The hard plywood was used for shelving in houses across Khati, soft ply was turned into classroom resources (ABC cards, games etc) while the remaining cardboard and light boxes provided much needed material for craft classes. Material re-use saved the complexities of packing out waste materials where their disposal may not be sound in an otherwise sensitive Himalayan environment (ie: being tossed off a cliff in Almora).

Despite the inherent complexities and problems surrounding the initial stages of the project, it has been an exceptionally rewarding experience to provide light to an entire community. To walk through Khati under starlight and see that the 'window glow' of 'captured' solar light has had a positive community impact and changed the lives of many is brilliant.

Bonnie & Scott

PEAK 

P.S. This project was completed in December. Due to our remote location there is a time lag between writing journal entries and being able to upload them onto the website.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.