Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

Almora and the last of the great headache...

INDIA | Monday, 22 December 2008 | Views [705]

The Dhakuri Pass PCO (phone), the mountain communities verbal lifeline to the outside world closed down permanently when the associated machinery broke down about 6 weeks ago, signaling the end of the 'community phone' era. A private company has moved into the region and is in the process of erecting mobile phone towers down the valley at Saurak (11 km away),the irony to this is that Khati won't have medical facilities or a functioning government school but it will be in mobile range!!

No phone access made re-ordering the damaged solar plates exceptionally difficult... actually impossible. So we decided to come out to Almora to sort out the last of the business details on the project. The day we caught a jeep from Bageshwar we were treated to the most spectacular view of a lapis sky and snow clad peaks that you could imagine.

The computers in Almora are great, however the fluctuating power source has caused  more than the odd headache. This is especially true when you are about to send lengthy correspondence or project information electronically and suddenly the power cuts out. Now this wouldn't have been a problem if the computer store had a battery back up that was working!

The Almora skyline has changed dramatically over the years as majestic old British built buildings give way to concrete monsters, a majority of the tree cover is vanishing and orange and white mobile phone towers dominate the ridge. Still in a way it has it's own laid back charm. I have had a chance to restock on school supplies like paper, glue, paints etc, and to buy some warm children's clothes from the Sunday market. Here you can buy the most fantastic old woollen jumpers and jackets - now when you are an op-shop queen this is quiet exciting. Then there is the wonderful Tibetal lady trading from a blanket in Lala Bazar who makes woollen booties that each winter keep many tiny toes in Khati toasty.

The sights you encounter in the mountains are never quiete as quirky as those on the plains of India.  Alas, Scott noticed a new Almora Ambulance parked in the Mall Road with the doors ajar and upon having a look inside he discovered that the patient was an injured German Sherherd dog!

The solar project has drawn to a close with the damaged goods currently in transit to Almora. The Grameen Surya Bijlee Foundation has been an excellent organisation to deal with from the project's inception through to completion, especially in helping us through the convaluted and complex delivery phase to replacing the damaged goods. On the final audit the damage was confined to one battery, four solar plates and some bulbs. Still the paperwork has to be done in triplicate and the waiting game for the last of the goods continues....

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.