Existing Member?

The Year Trip We are on another grand family adventure. This time we are taking 10 months to circumnavigate the globe!

Schooling

USA | Monday, 15 May 2017 | Views [558] | Comments [1]

Our two daughters have been going to public school since Kindergarten. In the fall Brooklyn would be entering 4th grade and Kaleigh 2nd Grade. This will be the first experience they will have outside the public school system. Elizabeth is a teacher so she may have an idea or two about how to educate them.

Our plan is to have the girls focus on the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. Each day they will have to write their experiences down in a journal. Elizabeth has already set up to Face Time and Skype into classrooms in Georgia and Tennessee to give the girls a little bit of the classroom experience they will be missing, but nothing will compare to the real life they will be experiencing each day. Some things we still need to think about are the martials the girls will need such as books and math materials. We technology today we can always use the Kindle app to upload books to read.

Tennessee requirements:

  • “Provide annual notice to the local director of schools prior to each school year of the parent-teacher’s intent to conduct a home school and, for the purpose of reporting only, submission to the director of schools of the names, number, ages and grade levels of the children to be home schooled, the location of the school, the proposed curriculum to be offered, the proposed hours of instruction and the qualifications of the parent-teacher”;
  • Maintain attendance records and submit these records to the Director of Schools at the end of each school year; and
  • Submit proof of vaccination and receipt of any health services or examinations as required by law.

Parents choosing this educational option should begin by contacting the local school district. For a list of home school contacts in each school district, click on "Home School Coordinators" (gray box on right side of this page). The parent will be required to complete an Intent to Home School form and provide evidence of a high school diploma or GED. Student attendance (at least 4 hours per day, 180 days per year) must be reported to the local school district at the end of the school year. Testing of independent home school students is required in grades 5, 7, and 9 and coordinated through the local school district.

- See more at: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/topic/home-schooling-in-tn#sthash.XFRpwBhw.dpuf

Reference: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/topic/home-schooling-in-tn

 

Comments

1

Studying while travelling = such a dream

  Carola Sep 20, 2017 10:52 AM

About bombardo-family

Glacier National Park 2014

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.