Existing Member?

In, Round, Up and Down A documented adventure around NZ in Rusty George, my mobile home

Mt Taranaki (Eggmont National Park)

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 21 January 2011 | Views [394]

Cruised on round the surfers highway, albeit minus a surfboard but time is on my side. Next stop New Plymouth, which mildly surprised me, boasting a Top 50 List, although truth be told it could easily be cut to 30. Went up the Botanic Gardens for the summer festival and highlights how NZ puts money, time and resources into developing events/ activities for the public. Great for visitors and even more so for locals, with a sense of community being a priority in most areas I've seen so far.

Day 2 was the day to tackle Mt Taranaki, which had been well hyped up to me prior to our meeting. When signing in the book I read a lady had completed the hike in 10 hours despite being 6 month pregnant. I suspected bullshit and after the climb hoped so or feared she may have been too stupid to have children. The climb is tough, with literal vertical climbs, clambering and scrabbling through varied formations. The last section of shale is exactly what you need after a heart pounding climb - two steps up, one step down. Perfect.

It's definitely worth a read on the Maori legend of Taranaki, who, despite stature, is as weak as any man when thinking too much with his second brain.

Bring on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing

 

About bobbybell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.