Existing Member?

Journeys If you meet Buddha in the road, kill him.

Copan

HONDURAS | Saturday, 30 August 2008 | Views [304]

Here I am in Copan. It is very, very beautiful. It is a cobblestoned town with lovely cafes. There is more english which can be relieving for me...of course that is my own fault...hardly Honduras'! It just feels so much better...cleaner, safer. My hostel is lovely...Only 5$ (the less desirable one in SPS was 11)By happenstance I was assigned the bed called "rabbit 18" which is the name of a Copan Mayan King. Unfortunately he was a bit aggressive...and was beheaded during his reign...oh well...

Last night I spotted a very frightened rat in our room. My dorm mate jumped up on the bed when I mentioned it. Then there was a domino effect of screams and jumping. I borrowed a flashlight so I could encourage him out the door. Once in the hall...a whole scurry of people and the rat and screams and broom sticks...goodness! Eventually he was out the gate.

I woke up early this morning and took many photos of the city and the surrounding mountains bathed in fog and early morning light. Then, I saw the ruins. They weren't very big, but they are known for their detail in the carving of the stone. I focused on the details in my photos...but was lurred away by parrots! I love my telephoto lens!

When I returned to my hostel...the woman spoke rapidly at me in Spanish. I picked out a few words...water, tomorrow...or 6 days...mountains. Suddenly I realized there was no water to be had. Darn. I knew I should have showered before I left! I then realized that she was saying there was no water in the whole city...and that it might be back tomorrow...or in 6 days! The Mayan Gods have spoke...I have been flirting with Guatemala since I arrived in Copan. There is a bus that leaves for Antigua tomorrow. My name is on the ticket! Surely there is water there!

Honduras has been great. My visit with the girls...monumental experience...but Guatemala awaits. Farewell Honduras.

 

About blue


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.