Existing Member?

Journeys If you meet Buddha in the road, kill him.

Antigua

GUATEMALA | Monday, 1 September 2008 | Views [323]

Antigua is a beautiful city...though a bit of a harrowing drive in a minibus. When we got to the Guatemalan border a French couple forgot their passports?! We waited at the border for them to be driven back to Copan. Luckily it is only 30 minutes away...and our speedy driver covered that hour and 10 minutes...in 30 minutes. that must have been due punishment for that mistake! We managed...even with that mix up to arrive in Antigua half an hour early. Apparently the driver was making the sign of the crucifix... and asking when to pass on curvy roads...past the 4 or five cars we would overtake. We were the fastest car in the mountains. My travel mate who sat next to him was partially amused...partially ready to pee his pants!

In Antigua we stayed the first night in a party hostel. It was really hopping...with drinks, music, drunk people etc. I finally fell asleep on my top bunk. opposite to me on the top bunk was one of my travel mates who reported the next morning, over a large free breakfast that the couple beneath him who stumbled in with much spirit at 2 AM, had a very passionate night below him. Bunk beds really aren´t a good choice for that. He was shaking up there for hours!

We changed hostels and had much peace. It was much nicer. I took beautiful photos. Mountains surround Antigua and a gorgeous volcano is front and center. I sat in a cafe for some time drawing a church...and got laundry done! Hurray! The town is very pretty, works like a comfortable grid...and I feel myself settling in...but tomorrow I leave for Panajachel. Lord it is hard to pronounce all these Guatemalan cities ahead of me!

Pura Vida!

About blue


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.